Clutch Problems on 91 Golf GTI

Hi,

My Clutch recently gave up the ghost with a clunk when i pushed the pedal down. The pedal depressed straight to the floor and failed to return. I assumed the cable had snapped but on closer inspection the cable is intact. Does anyone know of any tests that may tell me what has gone wrong? Could it be the auto adjuster or could it be the clutch itself that has gone?

Reply to
Sandy

If not the cable possibly the release lever has broken inside of the trans. Relatively easy to change.........at least much easier and quicker than a clutch. ;-) It could also be the release bearing (also easy) or even the release plate which would require a new clutch. or???

Reply to
One out of many daves

Reply to
wolfsburgnut

Reply to
none2u

Reply to
Regal53

Thanks for the help. I had to admit defeat and take it to the garage. The problem was not so much the clutch but a piece of metal had broken off (don't ask me what it was, a round ring had split which would explain the "clunk". mechanic said something about the spline?? ). Basically they had to get another gear box and take the parts nessecary to fix it. As the mechanic said, a very unusual problem and one which i hadn't the time nor the expertise to fix!

Regal53 wrote:

Reply to
Sandy

Reply to