road noise

Willy Eckerslyke gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

That was exactly my reaction...

This is the kinda thing I was thinking of...

not at £50 for 1m2... Mebbe this stuff?
For reference, this is exactly what I binned...
sound-proofer, but that metallised heatshield bit is right above the turbo.

Reply to
Adrian

Agriemach.

Reply to
Doki

"Doki" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

After a brief "Gesundheit" moment, Google came to your rescue...

Firmly into the "HFM?" category. So - if that (on a par with the Woollies price) is the going rate, that fleaBay stuff's likely to be a bag o's**te, isn't it?

Reply to
Adrian

Hard to say. 3/16" thick isn't much. And despite being "extremely lightweight" they still charge a tenner for postage.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Willy Eckerslyke gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Well, quite. It's fleaBay. Always work on the total price.

Reply to
Adrian

Perhaps. Unless you can find someone splitting it into smaller lumps then it may just be easier to get a complete bonnet blanket from a breakers. It'll cost more but it'll be less faff.

Reply to
Doki

"Doki" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I could get the standard thing for £50-odd.

I think I'd rather pay £40 for decent spaceblanket than £50 for 20yo compressed-fluff-with-little-bit-of-tin-foil.

Reply to
Adrian

Fair enough. If you end up with any offcuts, give me a shout. I've got a tractor that likes to cook the paint above it's turbo...

Reply to
Doki

You've never run Minis then! That bit is an essential - not for road noise, but for induction roar. Along with fitting a proper dashboard inside.

Reply to
asahartz

Well, the OP didn't state what car it was. In anything modern, getting to the firewall is a pain in the neck...

Reply to
Doki

My Cooper S rally car ran a Weber DCOE carb. I had to move the instrument cluster and cut away the firewall in order to allow it to fit. I also used straight cut transfer gears, and a straight cut gear box.

Although it would (just!) pass the scrutineering static noise test, when I borrowed a sound meter to test inside the car when driving, it was way above the limits!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan