Rover 100? Head Gasket? Surely not...

Just had a visit from my darling Mother in her Rover 100...

She's been having a few problems with it showing odd temperatures, running the fan all the time etc. A man down the road who 'knows about cars' came round and poked a stick through the pipes from the expansion tank and said it was probably fixed.

She came over here and I took a look. The pipes had been blocked with good thick mayonnaise. On a P-reg Rover 100 with the 1.1 K-series engine. Any guesses? ;-)

She's just driven it very slowly home, and will be taking it to her local friendly garage (*Not* the chap down the road) to talk about a new head gasket or a recon engine - she loves the car and won't hear of dumping it for a new one. I tried to tell her that even before she bought a Rover...

Any ideas of likely cost for either method of fixing it?

By the way, I'd like to apologise to anybody, especially truckies, using the northbound M5 around J11-J9 this afternoon. For some reason she decided not to use the A/B road route home I suggested and went at 30mph along the Motorway instead... You won't be surprised to hear that her driving has always terrified me, even though she rarely gets above 50mph...

Reply to
PC Paul

head gasket change circa =A3300+ possibly require a headskim, we do to be on the safe side, if there is too much mayo in the cooling system you might require a flush, there would be no need for a re-con engine that would be over-kill esp on a 96 rover, if its got the 8 valve as opposed to the k16 valve then it might work out cheaper. i love the 200 series rovers, ive got 2 , the wife has a mint 214i 8 valve, windy windows, no sunroof, manual locking, bog standard, a joy to work on, not that it needs anything doing, the other is also a mint

16 valve 214si with a headgasket gone, even though im in the trade im trying to get some ethusiasim to do the gasket.

Reg

Reply to
kronenburgh