Rover 24 1.4 - juddering, over revving

I have a Rover 25 1.4 petrol that has been juddering when I am maintaining a steady speed or ease off the accelerator. Also, it has just started over revving to about 2000 revs and then falls really low (almost cuts out if you don't rev it). The miles I'm getting out of a full tank also seems to be dropping and to top it off, there was a really strong smell of petrol when I parked up last time I drove it.

We took it to the garage a few months ago and they change the plugs thinking that would solve it but the problem has come back and worsened.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Reply to
ali

If you find the answer, please post and let me know. My 214 has been doing htis for ages. I think it may just be a sensor that is knackered or the ECU is shot. I have another ECU to try but haven't got around to fitting it yet. I'm getting 24mpg at the moment and at 94.9p/l it's not funny which is why I am in work today on my motorbike. :-)

Reply to
gazzafield

first check for air leaks, particularly the vacuum pipe to the ecu.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

It'll be a bugger if he finds that's the fault 'cause it aint the fault with mine.

Reply to
gazzafield