rover 400 problem

hiya.well i was driving home a couple of days ago when the engine seemed to loose power as though it was out of gear then come back again this went on for about 1/2 a mile where all power went and then the engine cut out completly.i tried starting it but the engine will only turn over.

unfortunatly i dont know very much about cars.but any help would be much appriciated

Reply to
bodypierced

those are the symptoms of running out of fuel

Reply to
Mrcheerful

the car Has petrol

Reply to
bodypierced

Your only saying that now as you just topped it up lol ....

Could it be something like a lose connection to a spark plug or failed coil pack?

Reply to
James

where would i look for a coil pack and what does a coil pack look like?

Reply to
bodypierced

pull off a spark plug lead and stick a spark plug in it, get someone to spin the engine over and have a look to see if the plug is sparking

Reply to
Mrcheerful

ok am i holding the spark plug at the time? or is it srewed into where its sposed to be.may sound a silly question but like i said in my 1st post i dont know nothing about cars other than driving them

Reply to
bodypierced

lay the plug on the engine, do not hold it

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Spoilsport!

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Isn't he just.

Mind you, they hurt nowadays, it's not like the "good old days" when we could hold a plug lead in one hand and hold the other index finger near a plug to see the sparks come out of the finger. I made a girly customer scream out loud when I did that with her mini.

And I made one of the local kids yelp when I got him to hold the plug lead of a mower while I pulled the cord. :-)

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I learnt that the shocking way lol :)

Reply to
James

Very naughty Steve, but I like it lol.

Reply to
James

It's the way the shock feels worse as you pull it away from the engine.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Handling the high voltage components is extremely dangerous. I was somewhat relieved to read that you were at least aware of that. One slip on your part you may not live to find out what you have done wrong. Electric shock across the chest depolarises the natural pacemaker of the heart; death is instantaneous. Leave the work to the professional. It's NOT A JOKING MATTER.

Reply to
Lin Chung

The voltage may be high, but there isn't enough current to do that kind of damage.

Reply to
Terry F.
[...]

Not intending to be pendantic, but for the benefit of the OP's self-confessed lack of knowledge, lay the plug on a metal part of the engine in order to complete the electrical circuit.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

If you've got a preexisting condition, which you may well not be aware of there's enough.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

With the energy that some ignition systems are capable of delivering they can cause serious damage not only to the person holding the spark plug but also to the electronics of the ignition system. Are you now aware that according to the latest Health and Safety edict any person that recieves an electric shock MUST be taken to A&E for a checkup and cardiogram? Ask the First Aiders at your place of work (BTDTGTS). Dave

Reply to
kellerma

Please take your car to a competent garage and get them to take a look at it and fix it. With your level of knowledge I'm afraid that you might do yourself some serious harm. Dave

Reply to
kellerma