Rover 416 Grinding on braking.

When I brake my 416 I get something like a griding noise. It comes and goes but doesn't sound feel like the normal metal on metal noise. In fact If I push harder it seems to go smooth again.

I've replaced the pads with cheap motorfactor pads about 10,000 miles ago. Is it really likely that that I've worn through another pair of pads so quickly???

Rear brakes are fine - no noise on hand brake use.

Any ideas?

Reply to
DannyBoy

If you're capable of changing pads by yourself why don't you have a look at the bloody things and SEE if they've worn out before asking people who haven't seen the car to guess at random.

Reply to
Dave Baker

The message from danny snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk (DannyBoy) contains these words:

Why not take the wheels off and have a look? We may be clever here, but we're not omniscient.

Reply to
Guy King

What are you doing using the handbrake when the car is moving????

Graham

Reply to
Graham

a quick look would be your only way, maybe the disks are bad.

Depends on driving too

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

-- Well assuming you've not been racing it then only if the discs are scored. Thereagain they're the same price as the pads. & it might be the inside pad so the only way you'll know is to take them off & look.

Reply to
DuncanWood

I had a 216, with the same problem... i had a caliper sticking... so one side had nearly new pads... otherside had worn down to almost nowt!

Reply to
Hannah

Seeing if the back brakes grind!!!

Reply to
DannyBoy

LOL!

Had a look last night. Pads not worn much. No sign of chafing although the discs have worn a lot and have massive 'lips'. I wondered if these had been rubbing on the calliper but could see no sign of rubbing.

One pad was crumbling very slightly in the corner.

Coppa slipped everything and put it all back together with a mental not to replace the discs next time.

Can't think of anything else that would cause a grinding on brakeing...

Can't explain it - assume it was a bit of grit or stone caught.

Thanks to all for reminding me that uk.rec.cars.m are mortal!!! ;-)

Reply to
DannyBoy

to see if the noise is coming from the rear brakes *sigh*

Reply to
David Thom