Rover auto gearboxes

I'm thinking of buying a Rover 200 series (P reg) with an auto box but would like to know if they are reliable. I seem to remember a thread on them here quite a while ago but can't find any reference to it.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Crawford

Sorry I can't answer your question Jim and my experiences probably mean nothing with respect to yours, but I can tell you that we had a Rover

800-series Sterling (bit different to your 200) that we bought at 50k and sold on at 147k without a single problem on the autobox at all. Does that apply to all Rover auto's? I don't know.

Mogweed

Reply to
Mogweed

Just do a search for Rover + head gasket. i'd avoid unless *really* cheap.

JB

Reply to
JB

No - Rover don't make their own autos and use different makers for different models. Think the 800 was unusual in that it used a Honda box.

I've a suspicion the smaller ones use CVT types - and they're bad news.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sorry, but even on a Rover, headgaskets don't just fail for no reason. The cases of Rover engines (and it's only the K-series that are subsceptible) killing the head gaskets are always precluded by the engines overheating first. I've never had any bother with said engine even when towing a caravan through the pennines because I'd made sure that the cooling system was up to scratch as soon as I'd bought it.

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

I beg to differ. My K series let go on me suddenly without ever having overheated and having a well maintened and flushed colling system.

After a gasket swap though it was a sweet reliable runner until someone pinched it.

Reply to
Chris Street

I am currently running a `98 600 2litre auto bought in Feb 2002(Edinburgh BCA auction),was at 40k and now 80k. Its had routine service and so far no problems except for the central locking which I have had to dis-able. Tom Dean

Reply to
Tom Dean