Running in the brakes

No :-(

I'm starting to think that my pads/discs are rubbish. I could've got OEM ones for a similar price, but Cafco is usually good value, and I could get them much quicker.

Trust me, total brake failure wouldn't be a huge problem, I probably wouldn't even notice it lol.

:-o, my dad reckons that they quite often take a long time to bed in. What could we have done wrong with the fitting? They just go in really don't they, there's nothing to adjust is there?

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

ROFL! Nah, my ones are normal. I wouldn't even consider performance ones because my original ones were brilliant (and performanace ones may need warming up like you say).

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Look out for the next episode on how to fix paint covered in brake fluid.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com contains these words:

D'yer know, at his age it really should be full of something else.

Reply to
Guy King

Oh dear. I hope its not been opened and the seal broken. If it has, its no good. Brake fluid is hydroscopic and will soak up water in the air thus lowering its boiling point and making it useless.

Do you even know when you've done it sufficiently?

Reply to
Conor

Who?

Must be top gear then.

Reply to
Conor

Don't worry, I know, and it's all completely sealed.

I will do. I need 400ml, but I've got 1 litre. The rears need more (and are done first). I think the old fluid is likely to be a different colour too, so I should be able to see the difference. My old fluid is brown, I had to suck some out when I changed the brakes.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

The invoice says Motor parts direct, I think they got taken over by motorparts direct or something. They're not on the net though. I know of at least two branches near where I live.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

My hovercraft is full of eels.

Reply to
Malc

Your dad has some strange ideas. Judjing by his comments you've told us about in the past, you'd be better off heeding tha advice and comments you read here.

New pads on old discs certainly take a few miles before they work as well as they can. Even so, during the period of bedding in they should still work well enough to cause no real concern about stopping.

Providing they've been fitted correctly, new pads on new discs should work well immediately after fitting. That's my experience anyway. Despite that, I would still advise treating them gently for the first 100 miles or so.

Nope. It's almost a case of if they look right, they are right. Without seeing them, I'm still inclined to suspect the quality of the discs, pads, or both. Personally I've never heard of Cafco. Who are they? Maybe you should go back and complain. How do their prices compare to the ones on this website?

Mike G

The message from "Malc" contains these words:

And your nipples are just exploding with ecstacy?

Reply to
Guy King

Cafco are a parts supplier local to Peter.

Extremely unlikely that they manufacture anything they sell..

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

(petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

NEVER use brake fluid from anything but a brand new sealed container - it's hygroscopic, and absorbs moisture from the air. Terrible stuff. It's also perhaps the most effective paintstripper known to mechanics...

Reply to
Adrian

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

One of the main factor chains around the south.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Adrian contains these words:

I've often wondered about this. I agree it's hygroscopic but I can't see how moisture is supposed to get past a tightly replaced cap.

And anyway, the reservoir on the braking system is vented and must breath slightly as the pedal's pushed and with thermal wossnames, so it'll be absorbing moisture from the moment you install it anyway.

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

What happens inside the bottle when you take the lid off and pour some out?

Which is why you replace it every couple of years. How long's that bottle been on the shelf?

Buy a proper car, one that uses brake fluid that's not hygroscopic - and, even better, is a lovely colour. YKIMS.

Reply to
Adrian

Ah. Thanks.

Reply to
Conor

The message from Adrian contains these words:

A tiny amount of water enters the airspace and is promptly absorbed. The amount will be very small and won't get any worse by leaving it. What's the difference between leaving it tightly capped for a few months and the few minutes between toppings up when bleeding the brakes.

The amounts of moisture involved are so small compared to the potential for absorbtion when in use that I reckon it's not serious.

Reply to
Guy King

Take the wheels off and look at the discs to see what's happening. Look at the faces of the pads, too.

Re. "running in", just don't belt about like a loony braking heavily (except in emergencies, of course) for the first 50 miles or so. The major cause of disc warping is stopping suddenly from speed and keeping your foot on the brake.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

A fairly well known motor factor round these parts. Must be mainly based in the South-East, or even just the Thames Valley.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan