Rusted on disc brakes.

I've had awkward ones in my time but I've never had to cut them off. I used "Plus Gas", a blow lamp and an awful lot of wellying with a hammer but it wouldn't move. The disc was starting to break up as I was hitting it.

I didn't even bother trying to remove the second one conventionally. I just went straight for the hacksaw. Ford Focus, 52k miles on the original discs. I've put a couple of pictures on my site :-

I did wonder if it would be worth whipping the wheels off a couple of times a year and giving the discs a shake to keep them loose but I reckon you run the risk of getting a bit of muck between the disc and the hub.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Lucky you!

BTW, your picture is not displaying.

I had a disc break once in a similar situation.

The short locating screws can be a nightmare sometimes too.

If you need to hit the disc from behind, I find a heavy copper-headed hammer to work best. A "normal" steel hammer bounces off as much as it hits!

One time when faced with a stubborn brake drum, I drove around the block with the handbrake on. When I went to remove the VERY HOT drum it virtually fell off!

Reply to
Charles Sweeney

I get them fine now, yum yum!

Reply to
Charles Sweeney

Many moons ago I couldn't get one of the drums off the back of my 1964 Vitesse. No matter what I did, it stayed put because it was scored and the shoes jammed in the "wear rim" at the edge. After several hours of hammering, heating and prising I admitted defeat and then spent what was left of the day touring every sodding scrapyard in the Greater Glasgow area to track down a 1600cc Vitesse! Eventually I found one and managed to remove a drum from it.

Next morning I jacked up my car, put it on axle stands, removed the wheel and then picked up the biggest hammer I could find - a sledge hammer - with the intention of smashing the old drum off.

I gave it an almighty wallop and it fell off - in one piece............

Moral? Use the biggest hammer you can find!

Alan

Don't reply to this e-mail address - messages will be deleted unread. To reply to me take away the news and substitute alanc

Reply to
Alan Norris

Why was you changin' them. look good to me. ;¬) Chris

Reply to
Chris

Not a good idea to hammer at them - can cause 'spalling' of the wheel bearings. Personally I use an angle grinder to cut a groove between each wheel lug location - not all the way through the disc, but about 3/4 of the way through. Then gentle tapping or put a chisel in the groove and gently tap it to crack the disc. Once it starts to give in one place the rest is easy. I think that the heat generated from grinding helps a lot.

Reply to
Microstar

In message , Rob Dixon writes

Hi Rob, I did realise they were too big. I did scale them down by 50% from the original pics. Only took a few seconds to load on my connection :)

Just everyday use over three years.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Paul Giverin mumbled:

More likely the region that hadn't been affected by heat/work hardening.

Reply to
Guy King

I'm on cable broadband and couldn't get them first time, so I don't think the size was the problem, unless his server doesn't like big files, times out.

Getting them fine now.

Reply to
Charles Sweeney

Use an impact driver. I used one for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Brilliant. Only problem was, the settings were for 'turning left or right' - where I come from, you turn clockwise or anti. Took a while to realise I was going the wrong way.

Pete

Reply to
PM