Scratches on every panel but no rust - how to treat them

I'm considering buying a three year old Ford Focus from my brother but it was vandalised a year or two ago and has a scratch all along one side, over the bonet and over the back - probably about 20 feet long in total.

The depth of the scratch varies, in some places you can tell it's only in the laquer, in others it has gone deeper but nowhere is there any rust so I am hoping it's not gone down to the metal at any point.

I'm considering buying this car as it's only done 16,000 miles and I'm wondering what sort of discount to negotiate based on the price my brother would have to pay to get this damage repaired if he was going to sell it to anyone else.

Also, I'm wondering if I should give the scratch some treatment to protect it - I was thinking of cleaning the it carefully and applying some laquer to it to "fill" it and protect it in the coming years?

I'd be interested in any thoughts anyone on here has.

Reply to
Murmansk69

Get a quote from Chipsaway / Dentmaster etc and knock that off the valuation of the car.

Reply to
SteveH

Hi, I'm Alessandro Saitta, a 37 y.o. italian man. I live in Follonica (Grosseto) Italy - Cassarello street, 131. I'm the most famous italian spammer in the world. If you understand italian language, come to visit my site at:

Don't miss the amazing opportunity to meet the italian 'Cantautore alla Bona' at:

Hurry up! so come on! Don't you know the italian 'Cantore della Merda'? Don't waste your time and come to:

!

Express your opinion

Reply to
Zonter

snipped-for-privacy@tinyurl.com snipped-for-privacy@1blu.de snipped-for-privacy@technorail.com snipped-for-privacy@staff.tol.it

Reply to
me

I bought my '95 Punto with a rather nasty scratch on the N/S Rear door back in 2000. Not seen any rust yet but I have on occasion filled it with that 'chipstick' stuff when i've felt a little energetic.

Reply to
Dan

Get a quote to paint them and knock this off the buying price. Not worth leaving on a modern car that's worth a few bob.

Reply to
Doki