Seen it all now

Have you ever seen anything like this before, anyone for a bent mot?

Starlite Disco

I assume you send them your cash, and they send you nothing in return. Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Starlite Disco ( snipped-for-privacy@yourparty.freeserve.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Ignoring the fact that a duplicate of either is readily available if your original *HAS* been lost or stolen...

They're good value, aren't they?

I mean - a normal MOT's £40, and a tax disc £165... It's almost tempting...

Reply to
Adrian

I thought a replacement MOT certificate to replace a lost one was only available if you know where the MOT was issued.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

It is, legally. As they keep records of the serial number that the MOT was issued under and therefore can simply write out a new one. The fee for this is usually £15.

Richard, wondering if the DVLA can do anything with that site. Though it's very amusing how much is ripped off ;)

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

But surely records are kept in a central location (like the Ministry of Transport itself) - records of the serial number, reg no, VIN no etc., on each certificate - is there not a way to find out which MOT station a car was tested at, if it's not known - for example if someone buys a car, receives all the paperwork for it, then loses the MOT certificate. Surely there's a central register somewhere.

`-'\_)Morticia

You're getting the 306 back? I thought the Beetle was its replacement.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

AstraVanMan ( snipped-for-privacy@WithThanks.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

What do you think this is - the 21st Century?

Reply to
Adrian

ROFL

Reply to
Duncan Wood

There will be very soon. You won't need to produce an mot any longer, just no tax unless it has passed, mot stations will just issue a receipt and the details are all uploaded every day to the central register, trouble is at present the system overloads on test with only a few stations connected in the trial.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

MrCheerful ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

How unusual. A government IT project that's proving to be incompetent, late and expensive. That must be a first.

Reply to
Adrian

Heh! So this can't be done then? I always thought that every MOT station had to be registered with the MoT, and let them know of the details of every MOT they issued. Or is that just a fantasy world?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

AstraVanMan ( snipped-for-privacy@WithThanks.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I'm sure they do send a list to the DoT. On paper. The DoT probably just file it somewhere. On paper.

Reply to
Adrian

The plan is to do exactly that but they are at least two years behind on computerisation

Reply to
Alan