Sierra expert?

Hi all, have got water in the front passenger foot well the sunroof tubes are clear as is the roof can any body give advice before I drown!! is there a common problem which I do not know about.. Also how does the estate rear luggage light come on when the tailgate is opened, there is no switch.

Rich

-- To reply remove " spam "

Reply to
Rich

Leaking heater matrix?

Reply to
Conor

In news:1Kr9f.14005$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-win.ntli.net, Rich decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Probably the heater matrix, not bad to do, much easier than the Haynes book of lies suggests. IIRC four screws, two jubbly clips, depress clutch pedal, remove matrix, insert new matrix. "removal is etc"

Mercury switch in the bootlid itself. Rather good actually.

Reply to
Pete M

No sorry not htr matrix it's been out and all ok anyway engine water does not go down. It's getting in from outside somewhere, I thought there might be someone who has had this and could suggest a cure..

Rich

Reply to
Rich

I put up with a flooded footwell in my Volvo 740 for months ( in fact I took out a drainage bung to get rid of the literally, gallons of the stuff ) because I just couldn't find the source. Come MOT time it failed on small rust-hole in floorpan, nitpicking I know, but they did me a favour as it's been dry ever since this was welded up.

Reply to
Steptoe

Leaking windscreen seal? The water can leak in there and emerge in a variety of places, I've discovered. Try smearing a little vaseline along the bottom of the seal to see if that's where it's coming from - it's good as a temporary fix.

As Pete says, it's probably a mercury switch. My Volvo's got one in the boot and when I discovered it, it was like trying to watch the fridge light go out when you were a kid :)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

The message from "Rich" contains these words:

Gnomes. They bought a bushel as surplus stock when Smeg went over to mercury tilt switches in their fridge doors. Which doesn't work unless your fridge is on the slant.

Reply to
Guy King

Ah ok if you say so !!!

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Have you checked the air inlet for the heater drain seals? (under the bonnet on the rear bulkhead high up, sort of triangular ish thing with a little flap 2 of) Other common fault is the battery tray rots through and lets water in, likewise edge of screen opening. Heater matrix, check by feeling bottom edge of heater unit, if wet, it leaks.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I had this happen on mine too, no sign of water coming in through the heater, or the sunroof tubes, or anywhere else. It turned out that rain was getting past the window seal, dropping off the window, down the plastic sheet seal, hitting the loudspeaker in the door, surface tension was pulling it "inside" and it was causing a huge puddle (and a vile smell) in the footwell.

As to the luggage compartment light: Yes, it's a mercury switch and if you park your car on a slope it can come on when you park up and flatten your battrery overnight.

Mike

Reply to
MSC

Ah battery tray is a bit rusty will have a look at that, thanks for the useful tips

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Thanks will take a look at the door panels and window seals I have the vile smell got the sound proofing out to dry out..

Rich

Reply to
Rich