Skoda Felicia front suspension

Hi,

About 18 months ago one of the front struts on my 1997 Skoda Felicia

1.9D failed, leaving the lower cup that holds the spring resting on top of the tyre.

At the time I was thankful that it happened at low speed (most probably during a parking manoeuvre) and luckily there was no damage to the tyre, car or me. I decided to get both front struts replaced as a result.

Yesterday I discovered that one of the front springs has failed, i.e. broken, leaving part of the spring below the lower cup. As the noise is enough that I noticed it before moving even a metre, it must have snapped while parked overnight. (I did actually hear a loud noise at about 10pm and reckon that was it.)

Now my question is, when the new struts were fitted 18 months ago, would it be normal/best-practise to re-use the original springs? The bill just says "new struts". Assuming the original springs are fitted, should I now consider replacing both sides and not just the failed one?

Is this a job that could be sorted by a fast-fit depot? My preference would be to take it back to my local garage, who fitted the struts in the first place, but they are closed until after the New Year.

Tbh I've lost faith in the car now, and am considering getting it fixed cheaply as possible to sell it on in a roadworthy condition. Especially after reading a similar story from this group a while back:

Cheers.

Reply to
Paul B

Only if you asked

Yes it's trivial

If you've changed them why would they be more likely to fail than any other spring? Assuming the strut top bearings haven't seized.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Fair enough... and with hindsight that would have been a good idea!

You are right of course. Maybe a bit dramatic, but that's twice now it seems I've cheated disaster through similar failures.

My guess is they are both original going by the service history. So should I get the garage to replace springs both sides and not just the failed one?

Reply to
Paul B

Well if I'd changed everything that hindsight tells me I should have then I'd be rich :-)

If they've started snapping then it probably won't sit level if you don't.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Hi I think you answered your own question, (why did you get both struts changed when only 1 failed)? Would you be happy selling a dodgy car? Cheers Al

Reply to
al

Because a knowledgeable friend recommended me to, and the garage mechanic agreed.

... and neither are available for comment until the New Year. ;-)

Well assuming you mean unsafe then absolutely not. I also infer from that as well that you would think it unsafe to not replace both.

Nearest fast-fit depot is too far to drive in its current state I reckon. So it's going to have to wait until the local garage is open, and I have more trust in them anyway. At least I know what to expect now.

Thanks.

Reply to
Paul B

It's not a particularly difficult job.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Paul B (Paul B ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Absolutely. Brakes, dampers, springs - always replace in pairs.

Reply to
Adrian

Ok, took it into the garage this morning... according to the boss they normally only change the broken spring. However I asked for both sides to be done.

Damage is £85 + VAT per side, assuming the springs are £45 each, which they need to check. Ouch. ;-(

It's a smallish garage and they were closed over the Xmas period, first day back today. Mine's the 3rd broken spring they have this morning by

9am already! Maybe something to do with the cold weather?...
Reply to
Paul B

Something to do with cars loaded up with xmas presents? :-)

Springs seem to be something that do break more than you might think. I've had to do them on three of my cars. If the parts are suspect then I'd do them both. I usually buy a complete 4 spring kit for about 100 all in as it's not much more than buying two. Takes me maybe 45 minutes per side not including the tea breaks.

Reply to
adder1969

adder1969 (adder1969 ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

There seems to have been a spate of crappy coil springs around the mid- late 90s across a whole pile of brands. Gawd knows why, but I suspect somebody in one of the handful of huge industry-wide suppliers probably cocked up in a change of material spec.

I recently changed the rear springs on the '90 Saab 900 - they were unbroken, but a bit saggy after c.160k miles. The fronts are original. Hell, all the dampers were original...

Reply to
Adrian

I've only had to do BMWs, all rears, two mid-90s and one '01 with 30k miles.

Reply to
adder1969

Will you keep it now or get shot of? We had an estate for 9 years and it gave great service. (totally boring but lots of room). Al

Reply to
al