Slightly OT: Registration prefix confusion

Hi,

I'm looking at a car on ebay that was registered in Jan 2001 but it has a W plate. I reckon it should have an X plate for a Jan 2001 registration but the owner swears blind it has always had that plate and everything is OK because it was built before Sep 2000 (when W switched to X). Am I missing something with the Jan 2001 W plate?

My own car was built in Jun '98 but registered in Sept '98 so is an S rather than R.

I thought the index letter referred to date of first registration rather than date of manufacture. Am I wrong?

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

there is something wrong as it goes on first registration date, in addition it cannot be re-registered (with a private plate for example) as a later reg.

Have you looked up the number at DVLA?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

But an X reg car (registered in Jan 2001) _could_ be re-registered with a W reg plate. Although that wouldn't explain how it could have "always had that plate". You can't register it new with a private plate, can you?

Reply to
David Taylor

What about if it was preregistered and the first owner was at the later date? You often see special deals on pre registered vehicles. Or perhaps it was a grey import and the first reg date was later than the age related plate that it was given?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Mrcheerful ("Mrcheerful" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yes, I think so.

But is it a "private-looking" plate?

But the first reg date would be the date it was pre-reg by the dealer, and the age identifier would be appropriate to that date.

In which case, the V5 would say that. "First used overseas" or something like that - I could check, but I'm not at home. It would indeed have a plate appropriate to the first foreign reg, though the UK first reg date would be later.

Silly question for the OP - have you checked the plate against vehiclelicence.gov.uk to see what that says for first reg?

Reply to
Adrian

I had a 1994 "L" registered 'bike with the date of manufacture clearly stamped as 1991 on the headstock. It was part of a batch that had sat around unsold and unregistered.

So my experience agrees with you rather than your mate.

Ivan

Reply to
Ivan Ardon

No - completely bog-standard.

Indeed.

I think that is probably the answer.

I have checked and the date agrees with what the seller claims.

It's also on auto-trader and it says the reason for sale is emigration of the owners so an import does seem more likely.

Thanks for all your comments, everyone.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett