Slow moving steering noise (rubbing/contact)

Hey all

Bit of an odd problem basically when I reverse into a bay slowly moving the steering wheel there is this kind of best described as a rubbing noise like rubber.. (also when making minor movements forward aswell)

Also if stationary I tried moving the steering wheel a quarter turn and it makes the same noise. It does sound like a rubber noise rubbing.

Hopefully I have not been too vague in describing thid.

Any ideas what it might be or the likely suspects ?

thanks for any help *thumbs up*

Reply to
Adam

Ford focus 04 1.8 petrol 50k

Reply to
Adam

se if it does it with the engine off, if so then it may be something rubbing on the steering column, otherwise I would next check out the belt for the pump.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Ok I have my findings :)

The belt seems ok not majorly worn and looks fine. Its on of those stretch belts so I can't take it off for a major look. Could be worth replacing it for peace of mind and to rule it out although no idea how as its a stretch belt not the usual put a spanner on a tensioner to release that I have encountered in the past. I'm sure the haynes covers it though.

Also it does not make the nosie when the engine is off.

Thanks

Reply to
Adam

Can come from lack of fluid in the PS tank.

Reply to
Rob

Hi Rob,

I had this on my glf when I bought it, had no ps fluid and made an awful sound topped up and was fine. The fluid on the focus is spot on although the fluid is black so I think needs reknewing. I wonder if it this causing it. Although I would imagine it would do this with it on and off ?

I've ordered a n/s drop link incase its this and the other side was changed when I bought it but they didn't do this side so possibly that.

Reply to
Adam