So annoyinmg

What? The rear turning indicator lights on new Audis. Why? Because the Audi drivers use these indicators excessively just to show off. Yes yes - I've seen that you're turning, so you so you can stop indicaing now... Could there be an argument that these lights are in fact non compliant?

Reply to
johannes

In what way non-compliant?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Are these the ones that look like a row of LEDs that 'run' horizontally?

I've seen them in use (stuck behind some at night in a right turn filter lane (where I was told by my driving instructor only the first and last need leave such on)) and was wondering both the points you mentioned myself. ;-)

That said I'm not sure it was an Audi but couldn't tell you what make it was (for the memorising indicators). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

If it's the ones I'm thinking of the total duration and rate of the 'flash' possibly (if not the design itself)?

I think the rules suggested that the 'flash' rate should be between 60 to 120 flashes per minute and that the on/off duty cycle should be around 50%.

So, if the 'run' ... off to on takes .5 of a second and then they are off for another .5 of a second than that's ok at the slowest end of the limit?

Or it could be something completely different of course. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

+1 LED headlights on a BMW X1 are non adjustable for height, and therefore look like an emergency vehicle flashing behind you when they hit a bump.
Reply to
critcher

You mean the ones that sort of look like a chaser light? Light up at the inside first and run outwards in intended direction. I'm ok with those.

It's some of the really really small indicators that are appearing that I don't like. Look like moped lights, about 2cm x 3cm lens, just a pocket in the tail light assy with an orange bulb in it and a clear cover. Can't remember what it was on.

Or the VW Passat that has round indicators inside the do-nut brake light so you can't see the indicator for glare of the brake light.

Reply to
Peter Hill

I have only seen the moving lights on Audis, don't know if its an option or if they are on all new audies from 2016. The argument could be to distinghuish between warning lights in case of, say, the left side indicator light was bloked by a car parked behind. But that's the only time it could be an advantage.

The moving lights just looks weird and may distract the judment of the position of the car since something else is moving.

It also appears more agressive, rather than just asking to give way.

In any case, if a big arti lorry is indicating for change of lane, then that's not asking to give way; it is demanding the space and you just back off or get hit.

Reply to
johannes

And my area has TOO MANY such traffic irritating bumps.

Reply to
Gordon H

Good point.

I think I've momentarily slowed enough times to give someone the opportunity to pull out, only to then realise they have their emergency flashers on ... that I don't bother now (assuming they would flash traditionally when the hazards were on).

Did I hear that the Highway Code / road rules now say that you don't have to indicate right when pulling away from the kerb (on the basis you shouldn't be pulling away if something is there to indicate to)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Good point.

I think I've momentarily slowed enough times to give someone the opportunity to pull out, only to then realise they have their emergency flashers on ... that I don't bother now (assuming they would flash traditionally when the hazards were on).

Did I hear that the Highway Code / road rules now say that you don't have to indicate right when pulling away from the kerb (on the basis you shouldn't be pulling away if something is there to indicate to)?

Cheers, T i m

That sound a bit daft. What about pedestrians?

Pedestrians are well aware of motor vehicle indicators, and react accordingly. e.g. deciding not to cross the road when a vehicle is indicating it is about to join it.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

In the 'good old days' lights, especially rear lights really did look like they were designed to work, from all required angles and did so in all conditions.

Now the focus now seems to be 'style' and that seems to mean they are often cr*p.

But then it's the same with clothes (for some) where they push the workers hard in the sweat shops to do a perfect job then someone sticks them on the belt linisher or bench grinder and adds 'style' to them? ;-(

Progress huh ...

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

30-odd years ago I was taught that pulling away from the kerb didn't normally require indication as it was little different from setting off again after having to stop momentarily because of another vehicle, but pulling away at a sharper angle, such as from behind a parked car did.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Then there is someone to indicate to. ;-)

"Should you indicate when pulling away

Basically if anyone, even a pedestrian will benefit from seeing your signal, then the answer is yes. If there is no one around, then a signal is not necessary, although if you still decide to signal and no one will benefit, it has no consequences on the outcome of your driving test."

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yes, that would make good sense. That said, there is (to those who notice such things) quite a lot of 'body language' in a vehicles positioning, even the difference of a foot and 'parked' and 'just come to a halt'. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had those 'what the f*ck are you doing' moments when people don't realise they are 'saying' with their cars positioning was misleading [1]. ;-(

Like the other day when we were waiting for a lorry that was completely blocking the road, with us sitting in a wider bit before the road narrowed. A couple of cars 'overtook' us because (presumably) they didn't realise we were waiting, in spite of us being away from the kerb and with the engine, lights and wipers on? We weren't ready to move because the lorry may have wanted to back out and nothing was lost waiting a few more seconds as the road was narrow and the lorry had to move slowly. I'm not sure even leaving my right indicator on would have stopped them.

Or out from a lay by etc yes, but apparently still not if there is no one to see it?

Cheers, T i m

[1] If I'm ever indicating to turn and then realise at the last second that it's the wrong turning etc ... I still make the turn if I feel someone could be compromised by me not turning (even if they shouldn't have pulled out if they saw me indicating left by mistake etc).
Reply to
T i m

Then there is someone to indicate to. ;-)

"Should you indicate when pulling away

Basically if anyone, even a pedestrian will benefit from seeing your signal, then the answer is yes. If there is no one around, then a signal is not necessary, although if you still decide to signal and no one will benefit, it has no consequences on the outcome of your driving test."

Cheers, T i m

Ha! Funny though how they seem to imply by saying "even" a pedestrian, that pedestrians are not as important a part of the whole system as, for example, a fu*kwit 4WD driver might be.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Well, whilst actual pedestrians are as important as the pedestrian who happens to be driving the 4x4 at that time, I think the 'even' bit suggested a pecking order re the risk to a car driver on their test, rather than that of a car hitting a pedestrian etc.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

"perfect job" in a sweat shop?

Mate of mine takes back nearly every T shirt he buys. Wears it once, washes it, then it comes out with twisted seams and that's defective goods. They sure as hell ain't going to pay to have it professionally pressed every time he washes it.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Yes, as in 'acceptable to the typical customer' at that price break, be it Primark or some posh 'designer' place.

Is he buying them from the same place each time. ;-)

Quite.

I generally only by cheap T shirts, often from the market and I can't say I've ever seen what you describe but then maybe I don't check hard enough? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well, whilst actual pedestrians are as important as the pedestrian who happens to be driving the 4x4 at that time, I think the 'even' bit suggested a pecking order re the risk to a car driver on their test, rather than that of a car hitting a pedestrian etc.

Cheers, T i m

Well, I would have to agree with you there.

Obviously this is a test, not an education.

A pity the two could not be somehow entwined better.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Yes, I do that too. It's easy enough to turn round at a sideroad or loop right round a roundabout.

I do wish though that they'd put up signs at the side of the road with the directions of each lane - in heavy traffic, it's too late by the time the vehicle in front has cleared the arrows painted on the road.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker