Softened and split rubber on clutch cable

At clutch end of cable (Daewoo Kalos) is a rubber washer which has gone soft due to it getting a bit oily and it has split allowing the outer cable end to now make metal to metal contact with the fixed part on the bell housing.

It happened before under warranty and the solution was a new cable kit.

Ideally I would like to replace the rubber with something suitable.

Any ideas?

Reply to
John

turn a piece of nylon to suit?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Seconded. All it has to do is act as a spacer. The material its made of is reasonably irrelevent.

Reply to
Conor

I suspect it may need stretching to fit it over a part of the cable assy. It appears to go between two washers (to cushion the thrust)

Reply to
John

your cheapest, easiest option is to just fit a new cable.

Reply to
Mrcheerful
[...]

And fix the oil leak ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Could you try nitrile rubber, which shouldn't swell like this in oil?

Reply to
newshound