Spark Plugs...

OK, I have had diesel engines since the year dot and have recently discovered my knowledge of petrol ignition systems is completely theoretical... and seems to have a few holes in it!

So, the book of words recommends Bosch HR7 plugs with a gap of 1mm. AC Delco site recommends 41-814 with a gap of 1.3mm. NGK just says "preset" on the TR5A10.

Do different manufacturers have different gaps for the same engine given their own design / material of plug? Would 0.3mm make any difference anyway? Has anyone seen the feeler gauge I bought 12 years ago and put somewhere safe? ;)

Should have held out for a diesel ;/

Thanks all ;)

Reply to
Richard Parkin

"Richard Parkin" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

Yes there's differing gaps according to plug make, yes 0.3mm can make a difference and no, I haven't seen yer feeler gauge :-)

Stu

Reply to
Stu

Thanks for that Stu ;)

Reply to
Richard Parkin

Bigger the gap the better the fuel ecomnomy make it massive!

Reply to
Mightyduck

How big would the gap have to be before it used no fuel at all?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Well, current late cars with coil-on-plug HT systems are capable of generating at least 80,000v, which at atmospheric pressure will fire a plug with an 8-10mm (if not more) gap....

Tim. .

Reply to
Tim..

But plugs don't spark at the *begining* of the compression stroke. Surely it's going to be much higher than atmospheric. (Not that I have any idea of the effects of pressure on sparks...)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Chris Whelan ( snipped-for-privacy@prejudicentlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

IME about 3mm+ is the point at which the damn thing won't start, and thereby uses no fuel...

Reply to
Adrian

The further apart the electrodes (within limits) are, the better the fuel economy. What is the explanation for that? Any one?

Reply to
Lin Chung

:-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Fancy a carrot?

Reply to
Fred

"Lin Chung" wrote in news:nA5Bh.13400 $ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net:

Bigger spark over a bigger distance? More fuel ignited quicker?

Reply to
Tunku

Tunku wrote in news:Xns98D9B6C4961Cstuartggraydslpipexc@216.196.109.145:

Big gap = no spark = no fuel burnt = 100% economy ;-)

Stu

Reply to
Stu

Stu wrote in news:1171658861 snipped-for-privacy@sp6iad.superfeed.net:

Must be a fine point between the two then ;-)

Reply to
Tunku

Actually setting the gap different from the car manufacturer's specification is unwise.

As a thought experiment, imagine increasing the gap steadily, the combustion will progressively become:

1) more efficient > increased power, can be interpreted as MORE mpg (keep the speed as before, so travel a bit farther) ; and 2) more complete > less exhaust O2, but ECM in response to the lambda sensor promptly injects more fuel to make up for the 'deficit' > more fuel used > so LESS mpg.

It is at the 'sweet spot' that the two are optimally compromised (the crossing of the two graphs on a mpg-verses-gap plot), and that must also be the plug gap the car manufacturer specifies for best economy and power.

Hence, my contention that deviation from the manufacturer's specified gap value (for a specific recommended spark plug model) is counterproductive.

Reply to
Lin Chung

Sorry, more O2, ie leaner mixture, not "less" O2.

Reply to
Lin Chung

If it's a Mk 2 Mondeo Zetec, the reason for the different gaps is down to time. Up until 1999 (or so) the gap was 1.3mm. After that, it was 1.0mm.

This is because the voltage (spark) is so high, it finds it easier to track down the side of plug lead 1 (shortest lead, closest to gearbox), rather than jump the gap.

This means lunched plug leads, uneven idle, and many postings on the internet.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Ignore my last two posts. On second thought, there is an unresolved problem! The reasoning was sound but the facts on which the reasoning was based might not be!

Reply to
Lin Chung