Pugeot 206HDI problem

Hi all,

I have a Pug 206 HDI.

Basically the problem I have is when I accelerate hard, the car pulls ever so slightly to the right, forcing me to turn the steering wheel to the left to correct for this to stop the car wandering out of the lane on motorways

As soon as I take my foot off the throttle, the car then pulls slightly to the left, forcing me to turn steering wheel to the right slightly to correct this so I don't wander across lanes on the motorway.

I had bought in January 2010: four new identical tyres (old ones had gone down to 2mm and worn evenly across their widths) two anti roll bar drop links (replaced as a pair as NSF ball joint had worn, causing knocking sound) two new front lower wishbones as knocking sound was coming from a worn bush on the NSF) Also at the same time, I fitted two new front discs and a new set of front brake pads and new rear shoes. I had checked all four wheels an dthere is no free play in the wheel bearings

The tracking was also done at the same time due to having replaced both front lower wishbones and 4 new tyres.

Now 3K miles later, the front two tyres have gone down to 2mm on the outside corner edges. The rest of the tread is at 6mm. I have since moved the back tyres to the front and the front tyres to the back, and went straight to have my tracking checked at a different garage. The garage reports the tracking is spot on and did not need any adjustment. The tyres now on the front are showing feathering on their outside edges.

So what else can it be if its not the tracking, lower wishbones, wheel bearing or AR droplinks? Is the excessive uneven tyre wear and car wandering whilst accelerating/decelerating related to each other or is it two separate faults?

There are no discernable knocking or grinding sounds.

Regards,

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

It sounds like it has a tracking fault (or the tyres would not be so worn), probably caused by some play somewhere, my bet would be a bottom ball joint.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

That was my initial thought, but the 2nd garage checked the tracking and stated it was spot on, and they also checked for free play in the bootom ball joints and these were ok, (remember the lower wishbones were only replaced back in January)

Reply to
Stephen

I have seen pattern bottom arms worn out in just a thousand or so miles. the reason it wanders left and right is because something has got play. it may be necessary to do some dismantling to check everything properly. first check though is just to get someone turning the steering back and forth a little and look for lost motion, just like on an mot. st. column , steering rack, track rod ends, susp. arm bushes, bottom ball joints, wheel bearings, suspension units themselves, loose wheels etc. etc.

Reply to
Mrcheerful