Stalling in reverse

"lurk" wrote

Try it with the air con switched off. With my last car, the ecu lifted the idle speed slightly with the aircon on so there was a regular rise & fall every few seconds. When manouevring, sometimes the engine would just cut out - perhaps the aircon engaged and the ecu got confused.

Reply to
DavidR

When I first drove my brother's 330T BMW, I stalled it too in reverse. You'd really expect a very powerful relatively light vehicle to 'unstick' easily from rest in either direction.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

lurk wrote

I have a pretty healthy 1998 2L petrol V40 and it sometimes stalls when I'm reversing into a parking space (say), but only while the steering wheel is turned fairly hard one way or the other without pause. I'm no expert, but I assume that the power steering soaks up enough power under those circumstances to drop the revs just below the point of no return. (Same as you, this doesn't happen going forwards, and I can't think why ...)

Reply to
Roger Hunt

It might be an odd thing I came across on something obscure once: on full lock in reverse one of the wheels could touch on bodywork and jam, effectively locking the wheel. You could not see how when the car was stationary, but the witness mark gave it away. To cure it I offset the rack slightly using tracking adjustment and the problem went away.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

In message , Mrcheerful writes

This raises a general point on reversing; it is probably during reversing that full or near full lock is usually applied. When the engine is working against front wheels at a steep angle, there is a great deal more force required to move the car anyway. Is this the OP's problem? (I have a degree in stating the bleedin' obvious). ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H

Gordon H wrote

Yeah - I'd go with that.

*I* have an Honours Degree (Scumbag Uni 1984) in agreeing with things I don't quite understand. :-)
Reply to
Roger Hunt