Suzuki Swift Cambelt

My 2000(X) 1.0/3cyl suzuki swift, I beleive, has never had the cambelt replaced on it. Its now done 63k miles.

Is this type of engine the "Interference" type or will a cambelt breakage be just a case of replacing the cambelt?

also when I do replace the cambelt should the waterpump/tensioners be replaced?

Many Thanks

Reply to
Kirky

Long overdue, even if not at the mileage.

Do you really want to leave it that long?

Yes.

Reply to
Conor

It's 7 years

G10s are non-interference

Why? It's driven by the fanbelt.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

It is a little overdue for a belt change (54k, 6 years). replace the belt and the tensioner roller. it is straightforward to do and should take less than 2 hours for the whole job. The engine is an interference engine (according to autodata) and will probably be damaged if the belt fails.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thus spake Mrcheerful ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk) unto the assembled multitudes:

I make a point of always replacing my cambelt before the recommended mileage. It's 45K for my Astra, but I generally replace it by 40K. Compare the price of fitting a new belt with that of a wrecked engine and it's a no-brainer IMHO.

Reply to
A.Clews

As I said.....

Reply to
Conor

Agreed. Years ago, I used my wife's Maestro D with less than 20,000 miles from new . I travelled through very muddy conditions and the belt slipped with the anticipated disaster. I was lucky that it was only the top end that needed sorting out but still cost me a £K.

I also take the recommended replacement periods as a maximum though I have to say that having driven a couple of vehicles through 200,000 miles and current at 150,000 miles and several others close to 100,000 miles that one was the only problem I have had with OHCs.

Reply to
Clot

thanks for all the replies.

Didnt realize the cambelt didnt drive the waterpump tho, does the waterpump still need replacing cos I thought they only got replaced as failure could throw the cambelt.

Gonna get a belt and tensioner ordered asap.

Rob

Reply to
Kirky

if the cambelt doesn't drive the waterpump (like yours) then there is no need to replace it before it fails/leaks, unless of course there is loads of dismantly needed to change the pump and it is very easily done when doing the cambelt (like late petrol focus)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Duncan Wood