Taking off bits before scrapping?

I think I may be scrapping my MGF soon.

Scrap value will be typically £150.

Has anyone any experience of recently scrapping a car? Do they mind/do they care if I take off some bits? Radio and CD changer will be coming off, but I wondered about the numerous other small parts that are easily sold - Ignition electrics etc.

Any idea?

Ta Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

I scrapped my 94 218SD and they quoted £150 over the phone a couple of days ago and (even suggesting values have dropped recently?) honoured the deal when they collected today.

To my surprise they said they were going to break it so in this case I'm guessing they would 'expect' it to have all the standard bits in place (probably ascertained by the 'does it drive' question on the phone).

I took my Kenwood out and the towbar off (I actually only wanted the rubber mounted Witter ball but while I was there ) as they wouldn't have been 'expected'.

He spotted the stone chip in the headlight so I'm guessing that was potentially an item of resale value.

I got their number from one of their flyers they left under the wiper one afternoon.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. A local scrappy offered 85 quid for 'any car' so I'm guessing they would sell it on (as they normally go by weight).

Reply to
T i m

I couldnt be bothered to wait any longer, so rang them up at 8am today, and they fetched it at 10.30. £150, I took out the radio and cd changer, but otherwise left it intact.

I was told there were only a few parts they'll take off, engine and ancillaries, lights, wheels and a few other bits. The rest will go into a crusher.

Ta Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Fast moving bits in demand. All other bits are a matter of being at the yard at the right time while there's a model going through. I sort of miss the days when a car would sit for ages and you could get parts off it at your leisure.

Reply to
grimly4

I was once rebuilding a mk1 RS2000 custom & scrappers like that were like a day out at Alton Towers for me, even better when we found a couple of well rotten barn finds that had tons of great bits on em :)

Reply to
Nige

Yup, I can remember clambering about in a car sat on a stack of three others and it seemed anything you removed and took to them was either 'a fiver' or 'just take it lad'. ;-)

All those 'little bits' that had dropped off your motor and were expensive to get at the main dealer.

And if you hurt yourself doing it it was your own clumsy fault.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I still know of one place like it, but it's bloody hidden :)

Reply to
Nige

Sorry to join in so late. Can scrappies take cars? I thought they had to go to approved places now.

An elderly relative once had a car she didn't drive any more and I thought about taking anything off I could sell on ebay and cutting the rest with an angle grinder to take to a scrap yard but IIRC it wasn't allowed, so I didn't get to have that much fun.

I think I read the approved people had to be "fragmentised" the scrap car, whatever that means, and that individual parts could not be removed for resale, which seems totally against the spirit of recycling.

Reply to
Fred

That was for cars traded in under the =A31000 for any old car against a = new =

car deals 2 years ago.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Yeah, possibly the wind was against any old car at the time, as they were considered as heavy polluters. But just think what poorer countries could make out of this. I know places where 50 year old cars are still common transport, workshops are cheap and mechanics highly skilled. In some cases they even replace the engines with modern ones.

Reply to
johannes