Thanks to Contributors Here...

For the helpful responses to my recent Leon query, and also for previous advice on new tyres. After realising just how easily the back end broke away when practising skid control on the snow/ice on Sainsburys car park, I had a replacement set of P6000s fitted by E-Tyres.

Next day service, and the guy turned up in spite of the snow blizzard.

I find an amazing difference in the smoothness of ride, and the P6000 is a sexy looking tread... ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H

They are also called widdow makers as they are terrible tyres compared to other cheaper makes! Cheaper but better. God knows why you went for a tyre which has such poor reviews. The P6000 were ditched by Vauxhall after thousands of complaints when they stuck them on the Meriva! Just wait until it rains. The best way to buy tyres is online, then turn up at a local garage and have them fitted. You save a lot of money. A P6000 will be worse than you think on snow/ice. You are getting mixed up with why the car is sliding. It is down to the ice/snow. I take it you have only just passed your test? Boy racers are the same, they don't understand that a car will not always go around a corner without slowing down when appropriate. The type that indicate left and will swing out to the right and then go left instead of slowing down.

Reply to
IanT

Don't think I've ever heard so much bullshit at one time - are you trying for some sort of award?

Reply to
Partac

By whom?

Buy online? What, using a company like etyres perhaps?

As well as your other undesirable attributes, it seems you are unable to read the post you are replying to.

Nope. Both etyres and Black Circles are on average 20% more expensive that the two local independent tyre centres locally. They may well be a bit cheaper that a local place in some areas; what you primarily gain is convenience.

Even for you, that is a load of bandwidth-wasting twaddle. Time to re- invent yourself again...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

In message , Partac writes

54 years ago actually... I had a day's "rally experience" for my 65th birthday present from the kids.

LOL! Shame to put him in the kill file really.

Reply to
Gordon H

IanT brought next idea :

I have had P6000 on for a couple of years, no problems with grip wet or dry. I do find them a touch noisier than their predecessors though, but not by much.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

"Partac" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Have to admit, I think he's going for the "stopped clock" theory.

For once, he's actually right. P6000s are a bag of shit.

Reply to
Adrian

He's been known as the tiscali idiot for years

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I've found them fine on my old 9000. Didn't have any trouble at all with them.

Reply to
Elder

Ah, more twaddle from Mr Misinformat-ian

Reply to
Elder

He needs to modify his posting style.

Like,

From Tiscali Idiot "hello, I'm an idiot!"

Is actually quicker for him to write, would be met with the same amounts of derision, and for once would be factually true.

However, since he is obviously tripping on something and likes to fumble within his trousers, we get the unexpurgated content of his psychopathic denseness. Oh well.

Happy New Year, Tiscali Idiot ...

Reply to
Adrian C

Yep, s**te. Especially in the wet.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

No they aren't. They're known as Pirelli Ditchfinders in the MX5 OC..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Tell me about it. I put a brand new set of four on a Fiesta many years ago and they were fine for a while but suddenly when they got to about half worn the wet grip simply vanished. It was like the rubber compound had a soft grippy top layer and then something totally hard and gripless underneath that when they wore down. It mainly manifested in cold damp conditions and at times felt like driving on ice. I remember one trip to Tescos on a damp but nowhere near freezing winter day down an ordinary A road at normal speeds where I thought I was about to slide off the road purely because of the slight road camber in a dead straight line. It wasn't just a bit unnerving, it was trouser stainingly scary. I got so paranoid I had the tracking checked and tried mate's cars round my local roads in the wet just to make sure it wasn't my imagination but sure enough wet roads that felt bone dry in other people's cars felt like ice in mine.

Even in summer they were s**te in the wet. I went to Wales with the g/f one weekend in July and it pissed down most of the time. I couldn't even keep up with other traffic driving normally except where there was that green Shellgrip stuff on the road in corners. Every corner was a matter of looking ahead and seeing if it was Shellgrip or normal tarmac and then either braking to a halt or hooning round it accordingly. I couldn't even keep up with trucks round corners unless there was Shellgrip on the road. I think we have to be talking about less than half the wet grip of normal tyres if my experience is anything to go by. That's not just a bit bad - it's criminally unfit for purpose.

Those tyres will kill you eventually - period. Never ever again under any circumstances.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Ditchfinder Generals in the SX OC.

Maybe it's a RWD thing?

I've done 100K on 4.5 sets, only spun once. Now trying Firestone TZ200's, just under£260 the set so the cheapest set I've put on it and a long way short of the £100 each I'd expected when I got the car 10 years ago.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Peter Hill gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Not really. I've only had 'em on FWD cars - and they've been thoroughly shit.

Reply to
Adrian

Correct :-) Same car same tyres what is the problem? SAAB fitted them on brand new cars back then.

Charles

Reply to
Charles C

Because the problem only appears once they're part worn it isn't going to show up in magazine tyre tests or be apparent to anyone who's just put a new set on. Mine were perfectly fine for the first year or so, wet or dry. Well, other than the very first day I had them on before the mould release compound had worn off that is. I was bopping down a country road just after having them fitted and came across some pillock parked half way round a blind bend on my side with another car coming the other way. Hit the brakes and all hell broke loose. Just managed to anchor up in time with the car squirming all over the shop but that sorted itself a few miles later once the treads were properly cleaned up. Would have been ironic to have crashed "because" of brand new tyres rather than despite them. Maybe that mould release stuff should get buffed off at the factory rather than sending out tyres that are death traps for the first few miles.

Tyre issues are definitely car specific sometimes though. I've seen tests where a tyre gets top marks on one test car and nothing like as good on another. Hard to say why exactly. Maybe it's down to the amount of body roll or camber angle. Some tyres perhaps just don't work well unless the tread is flat to the ground. The old Fester rolled like a tramp steamer in a gale but I don't think that was the issue because there was no grip even at minimal speeds or just trying to pull away. Don't even mention emergency braking in the wet. I just used to leave plenty of gap and keep my fingers crossed. Happily the car rusted through before much longer and I was able to ditch the lot. The grip with the Focus I have now is like nothing I've ever driven before. Probably better in the wet than most of my previous cars in the dry.

Reply to
Dave Baker

In message , Dave Baker writes

Sounds like a driver issue to me. Next time try "slow in-fast out" on bends, especially blind ones. ;-)

I have been highly amused by some of the comments about P6000s, as the rear pair I replaced were also P6000s, which were worn down to "barely legal". The spin I mentioned was a deliberately induced one on snow when I pulled the hand brake on a corner. They had certainly lost grip on snow and ice, but I always found the car well balanced on corners even in the wet. The fronts were Michelin Pilot Primacy, and were also getting down to

2-3mm tread depth.

The only time I had a back end seriously break away was on a 60mph bend when I was distracted and let the NS wheels get onto gravel. I corrected the first slide but on a dry grippy road couldn't hold the violent fishtailing and demolished both Cavalier and dry stone wall.

Reply to
Gordon H

I bought an MX-5 that was wearing a half worn set. It was fine in the dry, I had it about, oh, 4 days before I drove it in the wet. First time I went round a reasonably quick bend, it snapped sideways on a bump and I crashed. It was my fault, but I was very surprised at what was supposed to be a superb handling car behaving so "nastily".

The next MX-5 I had wore Avons. It would take the same bend faster, in wetter conditions without so much as a murmur with power on, off, or lifting off mid bend. I had no problems at all with it wet, dry or in snow on the Avons. I'd never buy a set of P6000s, or any Pirellis again, they are s**te. I'd rather have Nankangs TBH, I had a set on the 2.8i Capri and they were actually OK.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P