The Effectiveness of Sensors On Vehicles.

I worked in a factory where a system of small automatic trucks navigated themselves around the place, picking up stuff from the stores and delivering it where required.

The staff were sceptical, but the obvious safety worries were dismissed by demonstrating that the sensors stopped the trucks instantly when a yuman bean walked in front of them. Fairy nuff.

One day, an electrician had been working on a large stepladder just outside our office, and had left the aluminium ladders for a while. I happened to glance out as one of the trucks approached, and when it reached the ladders it just kept going! I saw that the ladders were being pushed along, and I dashed out of the door and managed to hit the stop button before they became wedged against the office. No damage done...

But what if the electrician had been on the ladders?

If sensors can see through step ladders, can they not occasionally see round posts? And would you trust them on the back of your car?

I don't think so!

Reply to
Gordon H

and people driving cars don't also crash into things and people?

The system you describe above is quite clearly flawed and you should get a refund for it.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

They an aid to driving, not a complete replacement for the Mk I eyeball.

In the case of the electrician and his steps - would it be sensible for him to work up a pair of steps at all, relying entirely on these trucks stopping if they notice him?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I didn't pay for it, and I retired 18 years ago. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H

That was my point. I regularly park at a supermarket where there are posts protecting a walkway, and the posts are hardly tall enough to be seen through the rear view mirror of my car, but at least I can see them in the centre. A reversing sensor would have to cover the whole width of the car and detect a 5" diameter post. I doubt that they would do that reliably, BICBW.

We/he probably didn't realise their fallibility, I would have guessed that a chunk of aluminium would have been visible to their sensors. The guide wires which guided the trucks were buried under the surface, and the trucks did not appear regularly. I never liked the idea, but I wasn't the manager!

Reply to
Gordon H

Mine does. It's far more likely to give a false reading of an obstacle than miss one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Gordon H explained on 20/07/2009 :

So.... a large, empty carboard box would have stopped it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Gordon H was thinking very hard :

As already said, mine has four sensor heads and it would easily and with absolute reliability pick up something that large.

Assuming in the centre..... A 2" or even smaller post would be easily 'seen' all the way back, to the point where my tow ball hid it. I can reverse up to my drive gates, which are the usual 1/2" metal rod and it manages to 'see' them.

It's main problem is false triggering - a pebble or pot hole on the road is enough to trigger it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Same here. Its particularly good at detecting tall grass round the edge of poorly maintained car parks.

Reply to
Conor

Conor brought next idea :

After all that argument about him not needing them and being able to back 43' trailer within 2" of a loading bay, he confesses to having them fitted lol

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I bought the car as a 4 year old one. I didn't have them fitted, the previous owner did.

Reply to
Conor

So switch them off.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

In message , Harry Bloomfield writes

Yes.

Reply to
Gordon H

In message , Harry Bloomfield writes

You've convinced me, I don't want one. :-)

Reply to
Gordon H

Please tell me how to switch off OEM parking sensors on a MK3 Mondeo.

Reply to
Conor

Conor gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Reply to
Adrian

Reverse into a brick wall? ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H

They'll be fed from the reversing light circuit. Remove the connection at the pickup point.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)