Tming belt markings?

After replacing a timing belt, would the markings of worn off, such as DO NOT CRIMP etc ? As I collected the car and was given the old timing belt back, but there is no sign of the markings, or the line up ones etc. Why would anybody consider crimping a timing belt?? Must be common for them to stamp DO NOT CRIMP on it

Reply to
Sharky

I don't know which car you're talking about, but if the tensioner runs on the back of the belt, I wouldn't be surprised if the markings were worn off by the next belt change. I would be equally surprised if nothing did run on the back of the belt, if all the markings dissappeared. I don't think DO NOT CRIMP is as common as you believe. TBH I can't recall ever seeing it, but that might be because, I only look to see if the part no is correct, and for any timing marks if needed. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

The message from Sharky contains these words:

By crimp I've always assumed they mean bend very sharply - which is probably worth warning people about.

As for markings - not all belts have alignment markings, and even if they do most belts are tensioned by a roller on the reverse of the belt which in time will remove the very washy print that may not have even been there in the first place.

Reply to
Guy King

The one I have here says, do not crease, fold, or lubricate...

God knows what its off, it was found in my granddads shed.

Reply to
Tom Burton

The message from "Tom Burton" contains these words:

Fold, spindle or mutilate!

Reply to
Guy King