Traction control 5008

I got to try it first time today. The control (under and right hand side of steering wheel) has 'OFF' written on it and the light associated with
it is off normally when I first turn the ignition on.
I pushed the button for the light to come on and later the skidding car icon came up on the dash. I looked and the switch light had turned itself off.
It didn't seem to matter anyway, the car carried on spinning its wheels no matter if the switch was lit or not.
Is the system on or off when the light is on? (Bearing in mind the word OFF is above the orange light.) I am totally confused!

By default I think most cars have traction control enabled (with no warning lights) when you turn the ignition on. Pressing buttons is required to disable it.
One exception is if your car has a special “snow” mode that has to be manually enabled.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On 03/03/2018 08:58, Tim+ wrote:

Thanks, I tried it out today and it is indeed enabled by default.
No wonder I wasn't getting anywhere yesterday when I thought I had turned it on because the light was on!
As it just sits there minding its own business unless needed, I wonder why anyone would want to disable it anyway?
On 03/03/2018 15:35, Graham T wrote:

for when you get stuck
On 03/03/2018 15:39, MrCheerful wrote:

Am I missing something? I want it enabled (default) when I get stuck. If it's enabled anyway even in good weather why turn it off at any time?
On Sat, 3 Mar 2018 16:14:47 +0000
snip

http://knowhow.napaonline.com/traction-control-system-works-turn-off/
--
Davey.

On 03/03/2018 16:39, Davey wrote:

Yes exactly. I had to disable mine (Honda Jazz automatic) a few times in the December snow, but interestingly not this time, having bought a pair of Autosocks.
Also, I now have on a set of Michelin Cross-climate tyres which definitely out-perform the old tyres on my somewhat difficult drive (having taken off the socks today as the main roads are clear).
Totally sold on both the tyres and socks.
On 03/03/2018 16:55, newshound wrote:

I went out in the snow on my new Michelin Alpins on my focus, no problems on fully snow covered roads, I left my car and picked up a near identical focus shod with near perfect Michelin Energys, immediately the difference in lack of grip was very clear, it slid everywhere.
On 03/03/2018 19:10, MrCheerful wrote:

Interesting observation. I rode motorbikes for my first 13 years, but in the subsequent 40 years in cars (only ever driving sensibly) I used to think it wasn't worth getting "branded" tyres for non-performance cars in the UK (fully recognising that in Germany or Scandanavia it was necessary to have winter tyres, plus studs or chains where appropriate).
However I will certainly be sticking with Cross Climate or similar from now on. Admittedly, I am in the Cotswolds (where there are steep hills) and I do keep my horses in somewhat inaccessible places; and I don't have to worry about the tyre price or shorter life.
The Alpin seems to be a full "winter tyre" though, so presumably you need to change it for the summer?
On 03/03/2018 21:32, newshound wrote:

For the relatively low mileages I do there is no point, I did do the summer/winter change for a couple of years, but then stopped for a couple, there did not seem to be any undue wear, the Alpin 4s that I took off had hardly worn in about 15,ooo miles. I only replaced them because I spotted a super cheap set of new alpin 5s that were in a better (taller ) profile.
On 03/03/2018 22:17, MrCheerful wrote:

Man after my own heart. I had a choice of two almost identical Jazz's, I chose the one with the smaller wheels (i.e. taller profile tyres)!
I just wondered whether insurance companies might quibble at summer use of winter tyres. (I appreciate that they would be foolish to pick a fight with someone in the trade).
On 03/03/2018 22:38, newshound wrote:

I have seen ins. payouts with bald tyres, ins. don't seem that bothered about such a triviality. Anyway winter tyres should just grip better in the summer, so where is the problem? If you go the German route, then summer tyres in winter are actually illegal, but not vice versa.
On 03/03/2018 23:56, MrCheerful wrote:

My policy states that any modification to the car is notifiable. That includes changing make and/or types of tyres.
On Sat, 3 Mar 2018 23:56:32 +0000, MrCheerful
From what I've read (and I don't use winter tyres as I am in the south) winter tyres outperform summer tyres in the wet and dry below 5 degrees C by up to 59%. Above 10C they are 10% worse than summer tyres.
AJH
On 04/03/2018 21:20, snipped-for-privacy@loampitsfarm.co.uk wrote:

compared to any other road tyre I have experienced, they grip better in all conditions and temperatures. I am also in the south, and I am very impressed by winter tyres.
I found I could keep the wheels spinning in third at about 60 when using cheapo tyres in the wet and cold, that is just not possible with winter tyres. The same cheapos were absolutely fine when the weather was warmer, even when wet.
On Sun, 4 Mar 2018 23:02:26 +0000, MrCheerful

I meant 50% not 59% but as I said I was only going on what I had read and no actual experience of winter tyres.
AJH
On 05/03/2018 11:13, snipped-for-privacy@loampitsfarm.co.uk wrote:

From my experiences, winter tyres (Michelin version) give enormous improvements in grip when the weather gets cold and seem great in the summer too. It is unlikely I will return to conventional tyres ( I would try the cross climate ) unless I really had to, for some reason.

I'd guess they'd wear out much faster in dry conditions, though?
--
*You sound reasonable......time to up my medication

I ran the last set for two summers and did not see any abnormal wear. but I do not travel vast distances, and UK weather is rarely actually hot :)
Logic says that there IS a faster wear rate in warmer weather, but it is certainly not that noticeable.
On 05-Mar-18 5:27 PM, MrCheerful wrote:

Winter tires are softer and have more sipes that present more edges designed to cut into the ice.
All the sipes make the tread block move more and that has 2 effects. They conform to the road/snow/ice better when cold >7°C. They wobble around a lot more when hot and that will affect handling at the limit.
If you drive carefully or rarely leave town you won't notice. If you hammer it down a twisty NSL lane at the NSL then you might notice it doesn't handle as well on a warm summer day.