Traction control 5008

I got to try it first time today. The control (under and right hand side of steering wheel) has 'OFF' written on it and the light associated with it is off normally when I first turn the ignition on.

I pushed the button for the light to come on and later the skidding car icon came up on the dash. I looked and the switch light had turned itself off.

It didn't seem to matter anyway, the car carried on spinning its wheels no matter if the switch was lit or not.

Is the system on or off when the light is on? (Bearing in mind the word OFF is above the orange light.) I am totally confused!

Reply to
Graham T

By default I think most cars have traction control enabled (with no warning lights) when you turn the ignition on. Pressing buttons is required to disable it.

One exception is if your car has a special ?snow? mode that has to be manually enabled.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Thanks, I tried it out today and it is indeed enabled by default.

No wonder I wasn't getting anywhere yesterday when I thought I had turned it on because the light was on!

As it just sits there minding its own business unless needed, I wonder why anyone would want to disable it anyway?

Reply to
Graham T

for when you get stuck

Reply to
MrCheerful

Am I missing something? I want it enabled (default) when I get stuck. If it's enabled anyway even in good weather why turn it off at any time?

Reply to
Graham T

snip

Davey

Yes exactly. I had to disable mine (Honda Jazz automatic) a few times in the December snow, but interestingly not this time, having bought a pair of Autosocks.

Also, I now have on a set of Michelin Cross-climate tyres which definitely out-perform the old tyres on my somewhat difficult drive (having taken off the socks today as the main roads are clear).

Totally sold on both the tyres and socks.

Reply to
newshound

I went out in the snow on my new Michelin Alpins on my focus, no problems on fully snow covered roads, I left my car and picked up a near identical focus shod with near perfect Michelin Energys, immediately the difference in lack of grip was very clear, it slid everywhere.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Interesting observation. I rode motorbikes for my first 13 years, but in the subsequent 40 years in cars (only ever driving sensibly) I used to think it wasn't worth getting "branded" tyres for non-performance cars in the UK (fully recognising that in Germany or Scandanavia it was necessary to have winter tyres, plus studs or chains where appropriate).

However I will certainly be sticking with Cross Climate or similar from now on. Admittedly, I am in the Cotswolds (where there are steep hills) and I do keep my horses in somewhat inaccessible places; and I don't have to worry about the tyre price or shorter life.

The Alpin seems to be a full "winter tyre" though, so presumably you need to change it for the summer?

Reply to
newshound

For the relatively low mileages I do there is no point, I did do the summer/winter change for a couple of years, but then stopped for a couple, there did not seem to be any undue wear, the Alpin 4s that I took off had hardly worn in about 15,ooo miles. I only replaced them because I spotted a super cheap set of new alpin 5s that were in a better (taller ) profile.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Man after my own heart. I had a choice of two almost identical Jazz's, I chose the one with the smaller wheels (i.e. taller profile tyres)!

I just wondered whether insurance companies might quibble at summer use of winter tyres. (I appreciate that they would be foolish to pick a fight with someone in the trade).

Reply to
newshound

I have seen ins. payouts with bald tyres, ins. don't seem that bothered about such a triviality. Anyway winter tyres should just grip better in the summer, so where is the problem? If you go the German route, then summer tyres in winter are actually illegal, but not vice versa.

Reply to
MrCheerful

On most cars it works by braking the wheel which is starting to spin. Fine on a normal less than perfect surface like a wet one, but actually is worse on ice.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

and if engine power is reduced at the same time you can stay there indefinitely, 'stuck'

We have had so many mild winters now, that half of all drivers do not have a clue about driving in actual bad conditions, couple that with the reliance on driving aids to get them out of trouble in average road conditions is a good recipe for crashes.

Reply to
MrCheerful

I was brought up in the N of Scotland, so fairly well used to observe driving in snow and ice, and learning how to.

Although weather conditions in London itself weren't anything like as bad as elsewhere, was still surprised to see so many driving on the bad bits as if it was a dry clean road. Mainly light vans.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My policy states that any modification to the car is notifiable. That includes changing make and/or types of tyres.

Reply to
Graham T

That is exactly what happened. With the system switched on or off it made no difference. When the car eventually slowly moved I suspect it was the heat from the spinning tyres friction which melted the ice and gave it enough grip to get moving.

Reply to
Graham T

From what I've read (and I don't use winter tyres as I am in the south) winter tyres outperform summer tyres in the wet and dry below 5 degrees C by up to 59%. Above 10C they are 10% worse than summer tyres.

AJH

Reply to
news

compared to any other road tyre I have experienced, they grip better in all conditions and temperatures. I am also in the south, and I am very impressed by winter tyres.

I found I could keep the wheels spinning in third at about 60 when using cheapo tyres in the wet and cold, that is just not possible with winter tyres. The same cheapos were absolutely fine when the weather was warmer, even when wet.

Reply to
MrCheerful

I meant 50% not 59% but as I said I was only going on what I had read and no actual experience of winter tyres.

AJH

Reply to
news