tyre pressure

Well done, Steve. That is indeed my view. If I found that my approach did not work then I would change it. After 22 trouble free years of motoring I feel comfortable with my risk assessment. My car is a 2+2 coupe and is mostly driven with just me in it. Occasionally I have a passenger but rarely more than one. As the boot is rather small the car is not exactly exposed to heavy loads. I know my car well enough by now. It has never been found to have low pressure in the tyres. Of course, I could get a slow puncture at any time but I'm sure I would notice a problem before it became serious. If I got a puncture at the beginning of a long journey then what use would my weekly check have been the day before? None.

I wonder if the people who check pressures weekly also ensure that they adjust pressures up and down every time they have three or more passengers, or take some hardcore to the dump. I should think anyone with a family would be kept really quite busy if they took tyre pressures that seriously.

Some people feel the need to unplug every electrical appliance when they leave the house, or even at night. Well I'm 40 years old and have yet to see a spontaneously combustable appliance in my home, or to hear of one elsewhere. I leave my stuff plugged in. I let the dealer check the tyre pressure.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and don't go fiddling with it either.

If someone does 80,000 miles a year then their needs probably are quite different (regarding tread checks if not pressure).

Reply to
Tiny Tim

You've started a good thread here. I think I'd like to jump into the argument. Ideally weekly or if you've kerbed the car etc. However I only do a monthly check now because my tyres don't seem to lose pressure. I know I should do it more often and check my tyres too.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

I generally agree with you but I'd definitely advise anyone who asked to check the pressures and treads weekly, or at least monthly. I can tell if a tyre might be down on pressure by the feel of the car or glancing at the tyre, and the same with the tread if it's not borderline, and doubtless so can you and many other people. Still, I wouldn't tell my mum to judge it on how the car handles.

Reply to
Dan Buchan

So? Why bother checking them 3 times? A small leak won't show up usefully in that time. A leak large enough to make a difference should be fairly noticeable, fairly quickly.

But was it related to some sort of slow leak?

Reply to
Scott M

No, not just you, but it doesn't occur to most of the populace to check their tyres when the weather gets colder.

Reply to
Scott M

i take a wander round to see and check them every 1000 miles or so so i'm not saying that they are checked every time i feul up on a tyre gauge or soemthing, i'd never have any time elft to do anything else!!!! :)

it was the result of a big hole opening up in the sidewall about 4 inches worth

Reply to
dojj

I know, but you defended it.

Reply to