Uneven tyre wear

Hello,

My '99 polo is having some uneven tyre wear. Only one tyre is affected and it is the front driverside tyre, and the wear is very heavy on the inside. All the other tyres looks fine, but the car does pull quite hard to the left when driving. Is this a sign of the tracking being out or a duff front suspension? I can't make up my mind as the uneven tyre wear is only on one side.

The wear have been caused over the last 12K miles I'd say

I don't want to ask kwik fit as no doubt they will tell me that it is caused by the suspension, tracking, front bracks, clutch, battery & exhaust all being at fault.

Cheers Scott

Reply to
Scott Mills

Probably the tracking but that might be due to someone having kerbed it & bent the suspension arm. If it looks straight try 1 turn out of the trackrod on that side & see if it gets better

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Looking at the alloys its been kerbed alright! Cheers for the advice.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Mills

OK , look at everything carefully , especially the chassis leg that the track control arm attaches to. If they're all straight (probably the case or it'd be a bitch to drive) then try adjusting it.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

National tyres seem to do a decent job of tracking. IME they've not tried to sell me any s**te, and manage to get it right first time. I once sent my mum down there to get the tracking on her car done, you could sell her anything, but they just showed her the tracking was out, then fixed it. A lot better than what I've heard about kwik fit.

Reply to
Doki

FWIW you can kerb a car pretty hard before you break suspension. You can kerb it pretty gently and knock the tracking out enough to shred the tyres and bugger up your handling and braking.

Reply to
Doki

I've just had exactly the same problem with my Rover, but only feathering at this stage. Like you I'm suspicious of the tyre people and took it to a place with a Beissbarth alignment tester. You get a printout of the correct settings for your car, along with before and after figures. It reported the correct wheel as out-of-spec and the spot on total toe figure after adjustment. It cost £27 though.

E-mail address, hopefully self-explanatory Andy Pandy

Reply to
Andy Pandy

That's good value. I got charged ??22 last time I had the tracking done and it wasn't exactly spot on afterwards. Not bad enough to make me bother taking it back (there's always the chance it comes back even worse!).

Reply to
Robert R News