Unglazing a clutch?

Is there a bodge method of unglazing a clutch? My mum's got an old 1043cc Polo, which is used for taking stuff to the dump. She rides the clutch, and there's naff all in the way of middle ground between cluch in and out, so you either wheelspin or stall at traffic lights.

I know the correct fix is to put a new clutch in, but the car's worth naff all and I'll only be borrowing it for a week or two whilst I work on my car. So, is there a way of sorting the clutch to have something like a vaguely sane bite?

Reply to
Doki

no

Reply to
dojj

Feck. A couple of weeks of wheelspins and clutchless gearchanges then.

Reply to
Doki

How does your mum cope with it?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

I have no bloody idea. She employs the usual old git method of 5000 revs whenever she's maneuvring it, which might help.

Reply to
Doki

at that rate you'll be lucky to have any clutch lining left :)

Reply to
dojj

What'd happen if you took it off and sandpapered it?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Ian Stirling ( snipped-for-privacy@mauve.demon.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

If you "took it off", you might as well sling it and chuck a new one in.

Reply to
Adrian

Well, true.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

What is "riding" it? Failing to take your foot off the pedal and keeping it slightly depressed?

Reply to
Chris Howells

Aye. Using the clutch as a footrest. Plus 4000 rpm maneuvring

Reply to
Doki

When in Rome (polo).......

Reply to
Tom Burton

£60 for a clutch kit. The car's worth f*ck all...
Reply to
Doki

The clutch is probably worn out anyway. Not all clutches obviously slip when they're down to the rivets, especially on small cars, they just get juddery and difficult to hold on the grab point. DIY and just changing the lining to keep costs down would keep it going for a couple of years.

Reply to
SteveB

Just change the friction plate.

Reply to