Unlicensed Vehicles on the Road

Isn't there a traffic rule that says that before starting driving, you should really check the car over that every legal requirement. e.g. tyres, lights, brakes etc are working OK? Probably the most broken rule if that is the case.

Reply to
Johannes

The message from Johannes contains these words:

Ah - there speaks someone who hasn't owned a Fiat 127.

Reply to
Guy King

Yeah.

1) Stop being an intolerant bastard. 2) Stop being a stuck up wanker. 3) Try talking to the guy.
Reply to
Conor

I have owned a Fiat 132-1800 GLS, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Croma CHT. The two first were fun rwd cars. The Croma had cheap interior, but OK car and didn't rust. I liked the outline of the Type 4 cars and got a 1993 SAAB

9000 CSE, what a difference in build quality that was.
Reply to
Johannes

John McLean wrote on Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:06:49 +0000 (UTC):

Wow. You sound like a bit of an arse.

You're annoyed about someone doing something (that doesn't sound particularly bad), and you won't even talk to _him_ about the problem first?

Reply to
David Taylor

Conor wrote on Thu, 25 Aug 2005 13:32:47 +0100:

Wow. For once I agree with Conor.

Reply to
David Taylor

It all depends on the scale of the operation and the character of the guy. If he's running secondhand cars as his main business and bashing metal on a daily basis, then it's not likely that a word will have much effect. Secondly, when he gets a letter from the authorities, he will know who has complained. Depending on the character, he may or may not take revenge of some sort.

There was a similar situation in a neighbouring road, though I wasn't involved and wasn't disturbed. I only knew that the neighbours were fed up for a very long time. Eventually, the metal basher was moved away.

Reply to
Johannes

+0000 (UTC):

I dunno, it might piss me off if someone was metal bashing outside my house day after day. Not everyone has the guts to stand up to other people either, it depends on your temperament. I personally hate stand up arguments (probably due to my parents who never stopped) and tend to go out of my way to avoid them.

Reply to
Malc

I don't. The sort of people who run motor trading business from the public road (we have one near us) are the type of people who won't hesitate to introduce you to Mr Baseball Bat. The problem is that without check, their operations spread like a cancer. At one point, this guy had about 20 cars that he was selling, all parked on street, making a nuisance.

Occassionally the police put loads of "Police Aware" stickers on and it quietens down for 2 weeks. But then he is back.

If you can't afford premises, then you can't be a motor trader. Fine them out of existence, I say.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Conor,

Easy to say as long as it's not in your backyard!

Again easy to say when it's not really hapening outside your own door and you don't have to put up with it day-in, day-out!

Not so easy for some people to talk to someone who probably looks as if he could crack a lump of granite with the cheeks of his arse!

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

+0000 (UTC):

The type of no brainer response that is endemic in the country. Not a question of not approaching the guy, it's the repercussions from ameobic dogdoo such as you. You're probably one of the guys who helps him out, drives up with the sound system or radio blaring, sounds the horn to get his attention, instead of getting off the arse and walking to the door, curses and blinds in front of the kids, throws the beer cans in the gutter. Yep, takes one to know one, all the same tarred brush. .

Reply to
John McLean

John McLean wrote on Thu, 25 Aug 2005 21:37:36 +0000 (UTC):

Your argument makes no sense.

I think you're silly for not approaching him, why then do you believe there would be "repercussions" from me if you did?

As for "takes one to know one" I assume you're trying to imply that YOU are one of the people you describe?

Anyway, I would rather help him out than help you out.

Reply to
David Taylor

+0000 (UTC):

Yep,

Substitute "empathise with" for "know one" It is apparent that one has touched a raw nerve in your case. Maybe you are the Bustard causing the problems. John McLean

Reply to
John McLean

It is an offence to repair a motor vehicle in the highway if it is an annoyance to the residents. Contact your local police and ask to enforce this law. If they decide to prosecute him you will have to provide a statement to prove that element of the offence.

Reply to
jamieT

John McLean wrote on Fri, 26 Aug 2005 08:11:09 +0000 (UTC):

Why would I empathise with a tarred brush?

I think the nerve is yours.

Sadly not.

Reply to
David Taylor

Here we go.....

Do you mow your lawn?

Reply to
Conor

Actually I have one down my street doing the same.

See above.

Oh for the love of God.

Reply to
Conor

Why not just talk to the bloke? No wonder we have no society left.

Reply to
Conor

No. Why?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The message from Conor contains these words:

Most people round here I would happily go talk to if there were a problem. However, there are one or two who I most definitely wouldn't. Actually, one fewer than usual 'cos the dibbles took him away for stabbing someone to death a week or two ago.

Guy King