Unlicensed Vehicles on the Road

Because if you did, it could be said that the noise was antisocial and that, using your own yardstick, you should be fined out of existence.

OTOH, the fact that you don't, assuming you have a lawn, could also mean your house looks like a shit tip from the outside and again, is antisocial as it offends those who have to live near it as well as hitting house prices so you should be reported and fined out of existence.

Reply to
Conor

Not every day. Maybe once a year :-)

Reply to
Johannes

Surely a better comparison would be if the OP was running a lawn mower repair and sales operation from a private residence?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I don't see what the problem is. What's wrong with people doing business from home? I really hate those housing estates with no shops, no pubs, no garages, no yards, etc. They are soulless and devoid of character.

Reply to
Paul Rooney

He asked what the position in law is so that it what I answered. Personally if he was approachable I would speak to him however it is good to be in a knowledgeable position prior to doing this surely

Reply to
jamieT

Well, maybe. But surely you would not advocate this if it made life less pleasant for all those living close?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

They'd be out at work during the day most days. Does it really matter if there are a few cars parked on the road and someone doing them up?

Reply to
Paul Rooney

It's a problem if there is extra noise and commotion. Areas are set out for a particular purposes, e.g. residential or business. Someone who has invested £££s in a residential property in a residential area would not like to find himself next to a business with noise and commotion. Apart from taking away the enjoyment of the property, it also affect its value.

It's a different matter if he lives next to a business with proper planning permission, then he would have taken that into account when buying the property and the price would have reflected that.

Reply to
Johannes

I wouldn't - I'm retired!

In principle, maybe not. However, what about if parking was limited? What about if access to your own property was frequently obstructed? What about if the noise went on until 11 or 12 o'clock at night? What about if the resultant mess from the repairs was never cleared up? What about if cars were left insecurely supported with no wheels on where kids play? What about if the traders pals/customers were forever tearing up and down the street at ridiculously high speeds? All things I've had to suffer in the past. I *did* try speaking to those responsible and received only abuse and threats for my efforts. Luckily for me they've moved on.

My sympathies are entirely with the OP I'm afraid.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Nowadays they are - but I have no intention of ever living on a housing estate. I prefer the older areas with mixed usage. More going on. More interesting. Easier to find/buy stuff.

Reply to
Paul Rooney

Then you obviously know the problems that arise from such a nuisance?

Ditto

Why, if he exists - which he doesn't - then why would you want to invoke the "love of God" because there are some people who are very intimidating and who do not take kindly to being "talked" to when they are commiting a nuisance.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

What type of grass have you planted so that I can get some? LOL

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Chris Whelan ( snipped-for-privacy@prejudicentlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

If the cars are legal, then they have as much right to be parked there as your car does. If they're not legal, then that's an offence.

Then that's obstruction, and that's an offence.

Then that's a specific offence.

Why are kids playing in the street unsupervised if they aren't old enough to be told and to understand not to play around them? Should kids be playing around cars *anyway*?

How's this guy meant to be responsible for the actions of other people?

It strikes me that some people just don't like to be reminded that other people share their planet every now and then. Yes, some of them could be better behaved. If you don't like it, talk to them. If you won't talk to them, then don't expect them to know what you're thinking. If you DO talk to them, talk to them like a reasonable human being, don't go in with all guns blazing, or sarcastically, or patronisingly.

If you want perfect silence and peace, then move into the countryside, with your nearest neighbour half a mile away. If you do, please don't complain about the tractors or cowshit on the road, or the church bells.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Paul Rooney contains these words:

I certainly miss the mized nature of the bit of Hounslow we used to live in. It's one of the few things I do miss, but all those wonderful skips full of smashing stuff - ah, heaven. Round here if you're lucky you might find some rubble or mud.

Reply to
Guy King

Housing built in recent years has to have sufficient parking. Once a single household has six, eight or more cars parked and not in use then it causes difficulties for others. Yes, it may be legal but it is also very anti-social.

Indeed, but when unable to access your own garage who do you turn to? Please don't say the police, they would not even come to look.

Again, difficult to resolve however.

The area in question is a cul-de-sac. I personally would not have allowed my children to play there, but I don't think those children's safety should be put at risk by people carrying out illegal businesses.

I wouldn't suggest he should be held directly responsible. Nonetheless the only reason for these others tearing up and down was because he was perceived as the local car guru. Once he went, so did the problem.

If you read the post to which you have replied, you will see that I did try to talk to them.

As must be obvious from me saying that I am retired, I am no hot-headed youth! Part of my experience at work involved delicate negotiation with sometimes difficult people. Sadly, there are some that one cannot talk to sensibly.

I don't want perfect silence or peace. I have a young, boisterous family living next door. The Mum often tries to apologise for her noisy kids but I tell her that I brought up a family myself and understand the difficulties. I like to hear the children playing. We get on very well.

With regard to the original point of the thread, the difficulties I experienced were from a house that was privately rented. The owner had originally lived in it so we knew them. They needed little persuading not to renew the contract once the 12 months was up. Needless to say the inside of the house had been treated with as much contempt for other's property as the outside had been.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Do the people that deal with him manage to talk to him without problems? Probably, or they wouldn't bother dealing with him. Therefore it *is* possible, you just don't know how.

Well if it's in an area with as much demand for rented housing that they can afford to picky about who rents their house, then fair play to them. If not, then you take what you can get, or you don't rent the place out.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I've bought, driven, and sold on, 5 cars this year. Each time I've only owned one car at the time of sale, and upgraded with each new purchase...

Someone want to tell me I'm a dealer?

Reply to
Paul Cummins

The message from "AstraVanMan" contains these words:

A bunch of kids pulled up outside our house at about 7am one day with the music pumping. I assume they were picking up a mate for a trip to the seaside (prolly Southend!) or similar. I wandered down in my dressinggown and squatted down by the window and asked 'em to turn it down a bit so we could sleep.

Driver started loads of verbal abuse when one of the girls in the back said "Come on, (some name), he's asked really nicely and it is early in the morning".

He obviously knew which side his bread was buttered 'cos he turned it down with a sheepish grin.

Reply to
Guy King

The council can apply any rules they want, my local one says more than two a year may be regarded as a business. I know of one case where the council used the sale of one vehicle to try and prove my dad was a car dealer, he refused to answer any questions at all and the case was dropped. He would also never sign for letters or be on the census.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I went out to someone that blasted up our road and hooted for a neighbour every day at 6 am, after a few repetitions of this I went out in the dark when he hooted and smashed on his side window with my fist, I was rather hoping it would break, but it did give him the most gorgeous fright, I then told him that he should knock on his friends door and not wake me and others up, although he hooted as he left (to be expected, really) he never did it again.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful