Used parts networks: a warning

After my recent request for feedback on used parts networks, I sent out requests to BreakerYard and PartsGateway, giving out tailored email addresses to both. The results are now in:

Neither managed to find a common part for my car

I have received spam on the email address I gave to BreakerYard

On the email address I gave to PartsGateway I have received phishing including my name and address, and a message about 'we'll send your items as soon as possible', with the payload being a link to click about 'order details'. The link says 'customer confirmation' and looks like it's a personal website on a hacked server.

That's two out of two.

So the conclusion is: don't use these networks because they will leak your details to spammers, if they aren't spammers themselves. They're not just a complete waste of space, they're actively malicious.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

That's a shame. Using a combination of Breakeryard and 24/7Parts, or something similar, I was able to find several needed parts for my Renault. A pity you had a bad experience.

Reply to
Davey

I've been using 247spares.co.uk for many years now without problems (most recent was last week for my daughter's car) and would recommend them.

As for 'spamming' - that has never happened with *ANY* of the dismantlers linked to that group. Once a sale has been agreed and completed - then that's the end of the matter and delivery has always been on the day that was agreed with never a wrong of defective part sent.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

They pick up my age from somewhere. Once that happen you get dozens of emails every day regarding:

Dementia Diabetes Erectile dysfunction Fat cures Funerals Hearing loss Hair loss Memory loss Nail fungus, Vision problems

Seems the spammers must suffer severe memory and vision losses as they repeat the those emails many times.

Reply to
johannes

If you really are getting dozens of those a day, might be worth changing your ISP to one with better spam blocking.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As I said already, I have used both breakeryard.com and 247spares, and have not had any of those emails mentioned above. And I am of an age that would qualify.

Reply to
Davey

I gave Breakeryard a unique email address. In the 5 years of my account I have never had a spam or any non-genuine email to that address.

I feel you must be extremely unlucky. More likely you have a trojan on your device.

Reply to
Fredxxx

[...]

Sorry, my "They" was meant to apply to the internet in general, it was not intended to apply to breakeryard or 247 spares, none of those I have used. But lots of avenues to pick up email addresses; I just delete anaything unknown in my inbox.

Reply to
johannes

I use Yahoo mail. You can allocate a different email address to every contact. Slightest hint of spam and the address is killed and the contact blocked.

Reply to
Graham T

On 11/02/2017 12:12, Graham T wrote: [...]

The spam emails are quite obvious, unless they use crafty ways to misspell vaigra :)

Reply to
johannes

I'm getting ones for hot girls that are desperate for a leg over with me;!.

Like most all things if it sounds too good to be true etc..

Reply to
tony sayer

After my recent request for feedback on used parts networks, I sent out requests to BreakerYard and PartsGateway, giving out tailored email addresses to both. The results are now in:

Neither managed to find a common part for my car

I have received spam on the email address I gave to BreakerYard

On the email address I gave to PartsGateway I have received phishing including my name and address, and a message about 'we'll send your items as soon as possible', with the payload being a link to click about 'order details'. The link says 'customer confirmation' and looks like it's a personal website on a hacked server.

That's two out of two.

So the conclusion is: don't use these networks because they will leak your details to spammers, if they aren't spammers themselves. They're not just a complete waste of space, they're actively malicious.

Now on The Register:

JB

Reply to
JB

Interesting, well spotted.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

That's one site, which doesn't mean that they are all faulty.

Reply to
Davey

I have exactly the same issue. I too use unique email addresses with suppl iers. These suppliers have been hacked and their customer data has been st olen. Those of you that are saying you havent had problems are obviously j ust using your "normal" email address so you wont know if youve been hacked or not.

I'm with you on this Theo...too many firms not using good enough security t o protect customer data.

Mike

Reply to
soggyshoe002

Hacked sites detected by using unique e-mail addresses for each of them.

Yahoo Alliance and Leicester Santander (not the same event as A&L but I think they share server) Last FM E-Bay Google Facebook x2 Ecomodder Best Western Hotels ebooker booking com Celotex

Reply to
Peter Hill