Anybody else besides me receive a virus in their email today?

This just a heads up for the group.

I received a virus in an email message this afternoon. No big deal, the AV software caught it. But the thing is, the address I'm using here is brand new. I've posted here with it only once (99 XJ, trac-loc noise? on 2/23/04), I haven't posted with it anywhere else nor have I ever sent an email from it, and the "virus message" is the one and only message I've ever received to that account. In other words, the sender of the virus could only have gotten my address from here. His/her return address is probably bogus but just in case, if you receive an email message from snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com don't open it without scanning it first. Good luck everybody ;-)

Rick oh! and while I'm at it, thank you to the guy that responded to my trac-lok post.

Reply to
HeBeJeepN

L.W.(ßill)

Hot mail?? But I don't use Hot mail.

Rick

Reply to
HeBeJeepN

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Rich, learn to read your headers, like this example that just came in tells me COX internet sold to this spammer these addresses:

Return-Path: Received: from billhigs ([201.128.112.110]) by fed1mtai09.cox.net (InterMail vM.5.01.06.08 201-253-122-130-108-20031117) with SMTP id ; Mon, 1 Mar 2004 19:08:05 -0500 Message-ID: From: "Bizul" Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 18:11:00 -0600 To: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net, snipped-for-privacy@cox.net, snipped-for-privacy@cox.net, snipped-for-privacy@cox.net, snipped-for-privacy@cox.net, snipped-for-privacy@cox.net, snipped-for-privacy@cox.net, snipped-for-privacy@cox.net, snipped-for-privacy@cox.net Subject: sugper viagrga antarctic Alberta MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1 X-Mozilla-Status: 8001 X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000 X-UIDL:

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Bill, I'm not blaming this group. It was just a simple "heads up" and an inquiry to see if I was the only one who received the virus. I get 'em all the time too, but most of the time I have no clue where the sender got my address. This time is different in that I can pin it down to here, that's all. And mine might not be the only address harvested. So that's why the heads up. That's all there was to it. If I offended you, I apologize.

Rick

Reply to
HeBeJeepN

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
Nick N

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
Roy J

Most email viruses get their addresses from the infected machines. All it means if you get sent a virus, or notified that you sent one is that someone who has your address also has a virus.

I get them all the time, anymore I don't even worry about it. I just keep good defenses on my computer. The other day I got a message saying I sent a virus to snipped-for-privacy@never.heard.of.it.com. All that told me was someone with a virus had my email address and snipped-for-privacy@never.heard.of.it.com in their address book.

Now if you posted you email address here it DID get harvested and you WILL get spam and viruses from infected spammers. The only advice I have don't post your email address to these groups. You WILL get crap sent to you! Some people post throw away hotmail accounts or try and hide their email. dean @ Don'tSpamMe hotmail dot com. Might work. I gave up posting my email addresses to these groups.

Because I never want to be the sender of a virus I quit using Outlook. I know there are ways to protect it, but the scum virus writers are always looking for new ways to use Outlook to spread their filth.

Sorry about your virus, but like the common cold they are a fact of life. Dean

Reply to
Dean

Not me.

Reply to