Vauxhall astra turbo 2001

Symptoms Engine management light comes on for short periods (say a couple of days) then goes off, seems to be random Engine at tickover fades and then recovers never quite stops

Car has just been serviced by Vauxhall (no problems found)

Any ideas from all you experts out there?

ttfn.....Alistair

Reply to
Alistair Ross

if the light comes on then the fault will be stored for a few starts, so when it next does it get the codes read. It is rather like the symptoms of an egr valve with bits of coke in it.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

They will not look for a "problem" unless you pay them the £40 to read the fault codes first. Gone are the days of experienced mechanics - now anyone can read a fault code and change parts until they get the right one. If you have just had the car serviced, do yourself a favour - check the oil level immediately. A lot of Vauxhall dealerships (and Honda believe it or not) overfill the oil well above the maximum. I can't work out if it is to try and cause damage to get repeat custom or not. It's an ongoing investigation trading standards are doing.

Reply to
JD

whats wrong with that ? you expect them to do it for free ?

!
Reply to
jiz

Thanks to all that did try and help and I can see why folks reply direct rather than through the news group. Its not nice to be pilloried for suggesting what the problem might be. All suggestions are welcome, surley that what the news group is for?

The car is not fitted with a egr valve (this I did not know until I looked) so thanks to Mr Cheerful for trying to help, we will look at oxy sensor and crank sensor. The car has had a cambelt change and a service, but Vauxhall say this engine light is not related to anything they have done.

Will let you know what the problem was when we find out.

ttfn.....Alistair

Reply to
Alistair Ross