vauxhall vectra

my freinds vectra will only start after being given a 'sniff' of easy start, it is'nt high milage, has'nt been abused it was origanaly bought as damaged, and stood a while, and since then, a few people have looked at it. but nothing has changed can any one help.

Reply to
ray

What kind of engine has it got? One that runs on Petrol, diesel, gas, rocket fuel?????

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

The message from snipped-for-privacy@msn.com (ray) contains these words:

You could help by telling us if it's petrol of diesel, high or low mileage, what engine, what year, what damage etc. We're not mind readers, you know.

Reply to
Guy King

Try pumping the throttle a couple of times then turn it over with your foot flat to the floor. This method has started up 99% of poor starting EFI cars I've tried.

Reply to
SteveH

Doing this in a Mondeo will result in it not starting, because the "foot flat to the floor for 2 seconds" (IIRC) is a signal to the ECU to not bother to use any fuel.

BTW, when you said "started 99% of EFI", didn't you mean "non EFI"?

With the engine off, pumping the throttle should do 4/5 of SFA, because the injectors should only open when the engine is turning?

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

There's still a mechanical linkage to the fuel pump, isn't there?

Although, I suppose it's the foot flat to the floor that does more good.

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No.

The only mechanical linkage from throttle pedal is to the throttle butterfly. There's a signal generated from the TPS to the ECU, though.

The fuel pump is usually electronically controlled from the ECU - give it a buzz when you first turn the key to bring the rail to pressure, then wait until the engine's turning before you buzz the pump again.

Even then, the injectors won't fire until the engine's turning on the starter.

Reply to
Adrian

No. On my car, the throttle only has a link to the throttle. The injectors are under ECU control, and (AFAIK!) won't fire unless the engine's turning.

On the 2 EFI cars I've had, the pump is actually a high pressure tank mounted pump, and the injectors just open to squirt fuel in.

On an old carb model, pumping the throttle (even with no engine turning), would squirt a bit of fuel down the barrel).

May help, certainly.

FWIW, for the original poster : Check the "rich start" injector. This is like the choke on a carb car, which puts more fuel for the air volume in, which aids cold starting.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith