Vectra 2.2SXi: any horrors with these?

No1 son passed his car test last week (had his full bike licence for 4yrs+ now). He's looking at getting a cheapish Vectra 2.2SXi (on a 51/02/52 plate if I recall correctly). The choice is down to lower insurance than the BMW/VW Passat he really wanted. Doesn't like Fords for some reason. Are there any 'orrible gotchas with these? Apparrently it's a chain drive to the cams so that's one less worry I suppose. I'm curious as it will be me that will be doing any work required. Must buy me a new code reader I think. cheers. JB

Reply to
JB

Christ! I just looked at Honestjohn's site and the potential faults are 'legion'! Not all insurmountable though but some, especially on the diesels, sound a real nightmare.

JB

Reply to
JB

In message , JB writes

I test drove Passat, Vectra and Mondeo, and chose the Mondeo because the other two felt heavy and dull by comparison.

Reply to
Gordon H

Every car made has faults at one time or another in its life. What you need to find out is the percentage of cars those faults applied to, and at what sort of age/mileage. If a car is sold in millions, there will obviously be more faults reported than with a far less common car - everything else being equal.

So saying, my limited experience of the Vectra said it was about the least attractive car in its class - to me.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You don't haveto tell me! ;>) It's his choice based on insurance cost and his own 'tastes'. Personally in his shoes, I would go for an E36 318/320 and live with the slightly extra insurance. Everything else is far better than a Vectra.

JB

Reply to
JB

2.2 of any flavour, especially the "direct" model - NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

JB submitted this idea :

Budget for a new chain set at about £400. Early ones were manufactured with a small oil spray nozzle which blocks and causes the chain to stretch then break. Even later ones go. Once they start to rattle they must be changed but for the damage it does just change it unless there is proof it has already been done (this is the Z22SE engine).

Had one in a Zafira. OK engine but can be very thirsty.

Reply to
Paul Edwards

Anything specific?

Reply to