vibration on acceleration and slight pull to left

Hi,

Returning from wales today in torrential rain started to get quite bad vibr ation through steering wheel. At first thought it might be a puncture and s topped, found nothing . Carried on a problem dissappeared for about a hour of motorway driving then occurred again and has now gone again.

Under trailing throttle car felt fine, but under acceleration vibrated and pulled slightly to left.

I'm thinking perhaps one of the inner driveshaft jonts might be failing. Th at said both outer boots are split, but doesn't seem like normal outer join t symptoms.

Any other thoughts, the intermittent nature seems strange.

car is a 94 1.7 TD.

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
jimzzr

What car?

Although changing the outer boots whilst checking the inners sounds like an obvious start.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Sorry forgot to say car is a vauxhall cavalier 1.7TD 1994

Reply to
jimzzr

I have seen this several times on various makes. It happens when one caliper is seized. The symptoms usually are no problems at all for the first few miles, you can run along at 70 for ages, but after using the brakes the vibration will start and the pulling to one side. It may get so bad that the car appears to lose power and the whole car shakes. The absolute check is to wait till it is happening, pull up, jack each wheel and see if they turn freely. A temperature check by hand may also show the fault as one brake will be very hot.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Not that there's any need for MrC's posts to be followed with "Wot he said", but - Wot he said.

:-)

Reply to
Scott M

Ah, when the inners die you can often wobble the shaft on those. Assuming it's not Mr Cs sticky brakes then the joints are fairly cheap.

(I've found J&Rs to be not bad)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I had similar last week. There was a three inch screw imbedded in the tyre.

Reply to
Derek