VOSA special notice 9-2011 nov 2011 new testable items etc

recived a special notice today so just a heads up for whats coming up Jan

1st 2012

new testable items,changes & addtional reasons for rejections.

pdf format

reg

In message , reg writes

I wonder how much the cost will increase?

Glad to see the notes about HID headlamps, many of the ones I meet on the road are a real dazzle nuisance. :-(

Reply to
Gordon H

"New RfRs for hazard warning lamps not fitted or inoperative."

Not fitted? as in vehicles from the mid 70's and earlier. What happens to them, do they now fail?

"The driver?s seat adjustment mechanism is now testable and the seat must be able to be adjusted forward and backwards and secured in the selected position."

So vehicles such as a Marcos that have fixed seats (the pedal box is adjustable fore and aft) are legislated off the road?

List of New Testable Components

"Speedometer"

Presence of one? Functioning? Accuracy?

Reply to
The Other Mike

It says "when fitted" not must be fitted for HID. MOT means that if present levelling and cleaning has to work. Nothing specific about HID bulbs in halogen lamps.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Most likely tested under the design rules under which they were built.

Again does comply with its design rules.

In glove box?

Reply to
Rob

This means I'll have to get around to doing something about the airbag light in the 156. Probably wiring it to another idiot light so it comes on and goes out again at startup.

The other one is the MX5 - the ABS has been disabled - but the light is wired as above...

Reply to
SteveH

Fix the fault :)

Reply to
Joseph

Well, it's odds-on to be an airbag ECU or curtain airbag fault.

The prospect of fixing either doesn't fill me with joy, and I'm not sure my bank manager would be too happy with the cost, either.

Airbags etc., really don't worry me - so I'm not really sure why the government is now telling me I *must* have working airbags in my ageing car.

Reply to
SteveH

Fair play, they do seem to cost a lot come repair time.

Although I had a broken wire on my passenger side which was an easy fix. I have never been that lucky.

Although I prefer to have one with the morons on the road, my good looks shall not be damaged by the dash :) might improve the dash though.

Reply to
Joseph

Can't you fit a non airbag steering wheel, and remove the lamp?

Reply to
The Other Mike

Pretty sure that won't work - as there's an airbag panel on the passenger side, airbags in the seats and curtain bags in the B-pillars.

Reply to
SteveH

Is there an audible warning that goes with the air bag lamp on startup?

Reply to
Rob

No.

If it's pulled up, I'll just wire it to the ABS light - just as my Mazda's ABS light is wired to the airbag light :)

Reply to
SteveH

As long as you have an understanding of the problem and that problem does not become a safety issue.

Reply to
Rob

The big issue is what happens when car is sold to the next owner. Unless the sale receipt says sold not as seen but sold with defective ... list of known defects. And both parties need a copy signed by both parties.

The new MOT requirements make it almost a certainty that an increased number of cars will appear in the 2nd hand supply chain with safety system failure lights wired to other warning lights.

If the MOT required connection to the car's OBD and only took data from that it wouldn't be possible the hide a problem. (short of putting 2nd ECU in that reports AOK)

Reply to
Peter Hill
[...]

Bear in mind that the OBD standard only covers emissions related items. Other things like airbag and other safety systems are not accessible via a standardised OBD reader; they require manufacturer-specific hardware even though they communicate through the same interface.

The cost of implementing all the different systems over all the MOT stations would be outrageously high.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I haven't taken a car in for an inspection for more than 10 years.

Reply to
Rob
[...]

With respect, that causes me to doubt the credibility of your opinion in a thread about testing...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan