Warning; 1st Choice spares

My brother used their website in early 2004 (yes 2004) but never actually bought owt, it's one of those "findapart" places for 2nd-hand car parts.

Anyway, today he got 2 SMS messages from them "From:87070 You are subscribed to 1stChoice Unlimited Spares Location for £1.50 per month until you send STOP to 87070. Helpline 08707 808226 - Save Pounds Off Spares."

Surely that's not legal ? He's not signed up for anything, anyone else used

1stchoice and had problems with the robbing bastards ?
Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Hmmm, after checking his bill online, it "looks" like he's not been charged for the 2 messages. He's canceled it now, but seems dodgy to me, specially with the long gap between using the site and getting the messages....

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Actually you may well find he has - you have to be very careful what you enter on websites like theirs. The small print says: "Click 'GET QUOTES NOW' to register and instantly check stock availability from our network of approved Car, Van & Motorcycle dismantlers and suppliers. Please also enter your 1st Choice PIN to verify your mobile and contact details. Any with your required parts in stock, will Text, Email or Phone you direct with free no obligation quotes for you to consider. In the event you are not supplied first time, you may repeat your request or make additional requests as often as you wish for the next 30 days. There are no commission fees for any parts you may purchase from our network, other than the standard service charge of £3, which will be collected by reverse charge text message sent to your mobile phone. This is not a subscription service. "

But to get this far you would have to enter your mobile phone number - and you've got to be pretty naive to give your mobile number to a web service without expecting to incur some sort of charge.

There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

I reported this here and got mainly flames for my trouble - i am glad someone else thinks that a small line of text about the sms charges, several pages down from where you submit your details is somewhat underhand.

MattF

Reply to
Matt F

It is underhand, but it's a lesson to us all to read ts + cs carefully before clicking "I agree".

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Check in uk.telecom.mobile for confirmation, but I understand that premium rate SMS signups must have confirmation coming from the mobile via text. Yes, you can enter your details online etc - but they must send you a "You agree to £1.50..." type texts - and you then needs to send a message back to confirm/agree. This provides a paper trail through your network operator to prove you agreed to the charges etc.

Failure to send any message back, means that your network operator will not have any proof you signed up, and therefore it is possible to dispute any charges. Remember - if you can sign up online with little checks, so can someone else but using your number. Having to text back ensures the person physically with the phone agreed to it.

The network operator may not be able to refund you directly (as they just pass on the bill from the SMS company to you), so you have to contact the SMS company to get them to refund it.

Of course, what is *required* of SMS providers is one thing - them actually adhering to these rules is another.

That's a quick summary of it.

David Hearn

They don't stick to the rules. I recently got stung by 'sms.ac' sending me 'So-and-so wants to be your friend' messages. Took me about 7 weeks to stop them by which time they had charged me about £45. The UK line capacity renting company washed their hands of the charges although they did manage to get them stopped. Apparently the company is in the US and I'd have to get it back from them.

Many emails and a letter have failed to get any response.

Reply to
PC Paul

I believe T-Mobile can, at your request, block all premium rate SMSs to your phone. Of course, this is only for T-Mobile customers ;)

Guess who I'm switching too soon!

David Hearn

Re 1st Choice Unlimited Spares

I too have received this message. I am suspicious of typing the return STOP for fear of= it costing a packet. Further to this I am unable to see if they have charged me the =C2=A3=

1.50 per month being pay as you go. I can't find the site on my search (lots of others wit= h similar names). =

(1)Does anyone have the E mail add / site add. =

(2)Can anyone provide a definitive answer if we are being charged.

Reply to
Mick Whitehead

Got to the bpttom of this (1) They have already charged you, and claim to be regulated - In other words it's level and above board. (2) if you ring General Enquiries: 01603 463674 you can stop the charging, (hopefully you won't get the sarcastic woman that I got). A good experience I won't repeat again (hopefully)

Reply to
Mick Whitehead