Welding

Need to do some arc/mig welding on my youngest s car what precautions do i need to take so that the electronics of her car are not damaged

Steve

Reply to
steve robinson

just keep the earth clamp close to the work and on clean metal. I have welded hundreds of cars and have never seen an electronic problem afterwards.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

& don't weld through any wires.
Reply to
Duncan Wood

This is on a wheel arch , she has paint bubbling so i assume that it has a few perforations ( it looks like the prevous owner has clipped a bollard or the likes in the past and the bodyshop never properly sealed under the wheelarch) , just going to strip it back both sides , cut back the rust fill with weld if its not to bad otherwise weld a piece in , lead load it , rub down and respray

Reply to
steve robinson

Disconnect the battery and ground the positive cable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

quite a few cars put the rear wiring loom directly laying over the arch and it can be very easy to cut through it or set fire to it, so have a good look first, also many have foam around there which can go up well and has fabulous smoke effects.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Unless its a prestige or classic car, I doubt I'd bother. Rub it down to good metal, treat with something like Dinitrol, fill what needs to be with bodyfiller and repaint.

Reply to
Conor

Conor gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Which'll do sod all if the rust is coming through from inside, as it undoubtedly is. It won't even delay the inevitable oncoming MOT fail on structural rot.

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks

Reply to
steve robinson

No its her fiesta , its just that i have lead lying about

Reply to
steve robinson

Thanks

Reply to
steve robinson

steve robinson brought next idea :

Arc will simply blow holes in it, you need mig.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I was always told to disconnect the alternator first, which is what I always do. I note that nobody else here has said to do that. Maybe it's not necessary.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

It happens that Rob Graham formulated :

The alternator is one of the more robust parts installed on a car.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It'll still die if you weld through a cable attached to it though. As will most things on a car , battery lead attached or not.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I'd be more worried about things with a microprocessor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't think it was actually the alternator that was at risk but ancillary bits like voltage regulators. But I'm not sure whether they are part of the alternator on modern cars or not.

Reply to
Rob Graham

They are built in and fairly robust, they have to deal with spikes of a couple of hundred volts.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yes, they are far more at risk.

Reply to