What damage ?

Would I have done to the electric components on my Vauxhall Astra by running it for ten miles without a fan belt ? Could it nacker up the ignition components.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Corky

If nothing showed up on the dash, I'd guess none. In cold weather, once you get moving the fan could be superfluous anyway. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I ask this because a while ago my fan belt dropped off and a couple of weeks later I started losing power, getting worse over about a week until it would crawl along at 5 mph. A new ignition pack cured it. Didn't know if it was connected.

Unbelievably, The fan belt came off again a week ago and today I noticed a lack of power again.

Reply to
Corky

Em, it's an Astra...it's not actually a 'fan' belt. He means the aux belt, that drives the alternator.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

It won't cause any damage, but the engine management system will be running entirely off the battery. This means when the battery eventually runs out, the engine stops. Head lights, stereos and heating fans all contribute to battery weakening.

If the belt's constantly falling off, make sure the tensioning bar isn't bent, pushing the alternator in or out a bit causing it to pop off.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

I can't see how the loss of a fan belt could affect the ignition pack.

If it overheated, I could understand it affecting performance. Blown head gasket etc. If it didn't I'd be inclined to say it's just coincidental. Would be a strange coincidence though, having it happen twice. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Fan belt or auxilliary belt, I can't see a failure of either causing any harm to an engine or ignition system. Just the possibility of overheating in the case of a fan belt. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Must be a well serviced car...

Reply to
Conor

The loss of belt would give no charge, when the battery is low enough the ecu 'may' go into limp home mode.

I don't understand how you could miss the warning light for charging?

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Or a damaged battery from deep discharge.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

The lack of power was probably when the battery was nearly flat, and there was not enough juice in the battery to make a nice fat spark.

Did the red battery warning light not come on?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

No damage to electrics.

You dont mention exact car, but if the water pump is aux belt driven then you do risk overheating it and causing damage that way.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

First thing I did was put a new battery on. I hear what eveyone is saying, but I can't believe its just coincidence that I get exactly the same problem after driving with no fan belt twice. It must damage the ignition pack in some way.

Reply to
Corky

I knew the belt had gone and it wasn't charging, but I thought like everyone else so far that apart from a flat battery there would be no damage driving it home. Changing the ignition pack cured the problem and I thought it was a coincidence , but after the belt went the second time I have got exactly the same symptoms starting. Today it has slowed down some more and by the next couple of days it will be undrivable. Driving on battery alone must damage the ignition pack.

Reply to
Corky

So why didn't you fix the fault with the belt the first time it came off, rather than drive it till it stops, then repeat ? If you can't afford the maintenance, then get a bus, you are a danger to other road users and yourself. If you can't afford to have the car off the road while it is fixed, then get two cars or hire one while your primary car gets fixed.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Reminds me of an incident I had - going into town one evening, thinking hmmm - lights look a bit dimmer than usual, wipers seem slow - oh bugger, battery not charging. Took a different, more populated route home awaiting the inevitable. Driving along, wipers stop, push bike light brightness, try to indicate to turn off and engine finally quits

- as I coast into a pub car park.

Would the wife believe me!!

" Where are you? " - " Broken down, in the pub..... "

Mind you, the RAC weren't much better - why can't they accept your explaination. When I say "it's the 15amp female spade crimp to the alternator that's failed" do you then spend 15 mins answering inane questions on the phone - "are you out of petrol ?" ....grrrrr

Reply to
IanDTurner

( snipped-for-privacy@AOL.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I've had this conversation with one of their rescue contractors...

Simple answer? Because very often they get people who are absolutely

*convinced* they know what the problem is... and are utterly wrong.
Reply to
Adrian

It doesn't. And it didn't the first time. HTH.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

It's difficult to be sure, most of them cut out at low voltage but some thing do die if you run them at a low voltage.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

It's a Vauxhall petrol engine. I have seen and done worse things and they've survived.

The ECU would stop switching long before the voltage reached any sort of danger threshold for the pack.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts