Wheel bearings, is there more to it...

...than meets the eye?

I replaced a bearing the other week and manage to make a bollocks of it (or at least I thought) by allowing the races to come apart and then tightening up.

I have replaced the **** again, as per a guide here with pics (about 60% down the page)

As can be seen it is pretty bloody simple but the thing is still bloody humming albeit now only at high speed.

With the hub nut tightened there was no lateral movement and the hub turned freely and smoothly by hand.

I guess the bearing on the other side could be goosed also but before I spend any more money is there anything else which could be causing a hum? It doesn't look like it to me.

Cheers.

Reply to
R D S

R D S ("R D S" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yep, a different wheel bearing. They're not always the one you think they are...

Reply to
Adrian

Well the one I changed was definitely fubar, there was a disconerting clack on cornering. I'll get swmbo to sit in the hatch tomorrow while I am driving see if she can pinpoint where the hum is coming from.

Fuck it, i'll just change 'em all, the excercise will do me good.

Reply to
R D S

Its always better to change a set instead of individual units

dont forget to grease the buggers

buy a torque wrench

and last but not least keep it clean

Reply to
steve robinson

Best way to check for a wheel bearing, is not to listen, but to jack the wheels up, and spin the wheel, then hold the suspension directly attached to the hub. Either the shock absorber, or rear suspension trailing arm. If a bearing is gone, you should be able to 'feel' the vibration. This is a more accurate way (I find) for locating which wheel bearing has gone!

Reply to
Matthew Long

One clack? Or clacking?

If there was one, it's likely to be nothing to do with a wheel bearing, but

*something* settling into a position due to centrifugal force. Maybe a bush gone, allowing *it* to move, and then move back to its normal position when you straighten up after the corner.

If clacking/clonking, it's likely to be a CV joint rather than a wheel bearing. wheel bearings usually produce a humming or droning rather than clonking.

As for which side, it's *almost* always the case that if the noise happens when turning left, it's the right hand side at fault, and vice versa.

What car are we talking about again?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Well it's the back wheel, I can't see anything else around there that would cause a noise. The clack was only on hard cornering and when the car was loaded with weight, anyway it doesn't do it anymore.

Multipla.

Reply to
R D S