No drive

Multipla 105JTD, W, 2000

Car wont pull away, clutch pedal feels OK, gearstick feels same as ever.

With the engine running the car can be put in gear freely with the clutch in ot out, something engases as the speedo changes up in speed as you go up the gears.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Rick

Reply to
R D S

That's or and engages obviously.

Reply to
R D S

Have you disconnected a driveshaft in the quest to change the wheel bearings?

If it's in gear and the gearbox is turning the speedo drive, I guess it rules out the clutch and stands to reason that drive is not getting from the gearbox to one or both of the front wheels for some reason.

Have a good look round the underneath of the worky bits at the front particularly driveshafts to gearbox.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Or just take the axle stands out from underneath? :-)

Reply to
mike

Driveshafts are a bit scarce at the rear end of a Multipla.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Ian Dalziel (Ian Dalziel ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Now that depends, doesn't it? Is it a modern Fuglypla or a proper ol' push-me-pull-you 600 Multipla?

Adrian

Heh. Yes, I thought of that after I posted. Mind you, if it's a real one, and you can put it into first with the clutch in or out, then it's broken, isn't it?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

You're cursed.

The Timo of cars.

Reply to
SteveH

I'm starting to think the missus' driving style might have something to do with it.

Anyway as it stands it looks as if it's just a driveshaft.

Reply to
R D S

'just'..... I've *never* had to replace a driveshaft.

Mind you, I've never needed to have an engine rebuilt either.

What the hell does your SO do to them?

Reply to
SteveH

No, they're at the front. (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I had a similar experience with a Renault Megane. It turned out to be a small circlip breaking and allowing two gears that should have been in mesh to become unmeshed. The circlip was worth about twenty pence but hardened spring steel circlips and ordinary steel gears do not make good friends and the circlip did the rounds in the gearbox before dropping to the bottom. It cost me the best part of a thousand quid to put right, and that was with only two gears being totally knackered and others having the nicks buffed out. Hope this cheers you up!!

Reply to
pb

Err, yeah, feeling much better.

Reply to
R D S

It turns out that the driveshaft is fine, simply whatever connects whatever to whatever has fallen off, just needs a cheapo bit which sounds like little more than a nut and a couple of hours labour max.

Maybe my luck is changing?

Reply to
R D S