when will cars stop getting bigger?

Have you seen pictures of the new Mondeo? It's absolutely massive.

Reply to
Marvin

On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 15:38:36 +0000, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of Marvin:

That's nothing compared to the cars built in the States during the 60s.

Reply to
Alex Buell

It's an American thing... I'm quite happy not having any major traits that are possessed by the Americans, so don't buy a big car :-)

Reply to
David R

Maybe they filmed the ad's with dwarfes in!

Reply to
405 TD Estate

Quite

Reply to
David R

That'll be intentional. They introduce smaller cars at the bottom of the range and move everything up a slot. That's why a Fiesta or Polo is now Escort or Golf sized, etc. It's all neat marketing, they rely on people not wanting to move back down the model range, so persuade them to spend more on upgrading to an equivalent car that's not really equivalent to their old model at all.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Do they still make Scorpios? I've not seen one recently, so I guess the Mondeo fills that hole. If it's too big just buy a Focus instead. AL

Reply to
Al M

Not since June 1998...

The total production run over four years was less than 100.000 so they are pretty rare. Oh - perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned "pretty" :-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Lots of people believe the Americans as a "race" are narrow minded, but being in the United Kingdom, y'all possess such a narrow perspective it's unbelieveable...

Reply to
DervMan

On 02-Jan-07 15:52:03, 405 TD Estate said

Oh come on, a car company is hardly going to get Dustin Hoffman to do their commercial.

;)

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

When will a normal parking space or garage on a newer house be able to accommodate a normal average size car! Unless you're disabled these days you have to use a small car parking space which discriminates against people with anything other than something the size of a fiesta. Try opening the door once parked, especially on a standard 3 door car. You always know when someone fat has parked in the next space as they are on the white line to such an extent you cant even open the door.

Reply to
ray

"Al M" wrote in news:1167755673.171118.212770@

48g2000cwx.googlegroups.com:

The current Focus is wider than the Mondeo - over 6', which I believe exceeds the width of most large family saloons produced in recent years.

Stu

Reply to
Stu

...he'd never get up the step :-p

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I just don't like the marketing or the politics, I wasn't referring to 'Americans' in the sense of the general misguided population over there :D

Reply to
David R

Well just as many mericans think the brits all wear suits and waistcoats and say pip-pip to each other, many brits think all americans are fat and obnoxious and drive around in cadillacs.

If you go to the mid-west many americans are of a scandinavian or northern european origin and that is still quite evident. I certainly see more fat obnoxious people in the UK than I ever do in the states and my friends run around in mazdas, VWs, Audis, Saabs etc.

Reply to
adder1969

I personally would prefer the lesser petrol consumption of the car if it was just slightly smaller. The manufacturers seem to think we'd prefer a bigger car for our money, rather than decreased petrol costs over time.

Reply to
David R

And he's at it again now with the Audi.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

"David R" wrote in news:TWLmh.52071$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net:

Not to mention the ever increasing weight factor. Take my S70 - it's *big*. Any ill-informed guesser would say that it would have a kerbweight comparable to that of a Sherman tank - certainly much more than the current focus. However, the slightly less powerful version of the same Volvo engine, as fitted in the Focus ST, results in a car that is *heavier* by

16kg! The 1.8 diesel model is heavier still!

Stu

Reply to
Stu

You've just reminded me of Kenny Everett and the Sherman tank as the all round in town vehicle.

Now that's class.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard