Where to buy tyres?

Hi,

Having started a thread about tyre pressures. After examining my tyres a few are just barely legal at 1.6m. I never like to sail too close to the wind. What I was thinking of doing was buying the tyres online and taking them to somewhere like kwik fit etc to fit them. Not sure if they do this or how much they charge but at least you can pick your own tyres. The last time I went to them they only had one tyre costing £60ish! so I will hopefully get a recomendation of a online tyre place and buy them online and take them for fitting.

when it comes to brakes, tyres, and all the vitals I take no chances.

Cheers

Reply to
James_sutton

Whereabouts are you ?

Have you tried looking at somewhere like

or
?

Graham

Reply to
Graham

Or

who will come and fit them for you at home or work. Just Google for "online tyre sales" and you'll find loads.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

I did the mytyres thing ~3 months ago - where they deliver to you. One one hand, they diddn't actually take the money till one month after the tyres were delivered, which was a plus.

(michelin P3000 energy, for about 24 quid a corner. A complete revelation compared to what was on there before - it steers, not wallows. Kwik-Fit would have been about the same overall price - for the cheapest sorts of tyres. )

On the other, the means of delivery - with two tyres strapped tightly together, with the strapping going over the bead seems to have created a 'flat spot' on the tyres, which means they have only just stopped leaking air.

And pick a tyre fitter, not a monkey, and watch the bastards. The one I had has bent a sill, by not using the proper jack adaptor.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Buy the tyres, and fit them yourself.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Get the best online price you can then go to a local place and haggle. Seems to work best for me.

Reply to
adder1969

Note the names of your local tyre fitting shops. Phone one of a chain, not a local one, and ask for a price. Phone your local ones, if they are dearer, say "I've got a better price, can you improve on yours?" DO NOT TELL THEM what the better price is. Say, in an outraged and shocked voice, "I can't tell you that!!". When you've "done" the local lot, if it's worthwhile, phone one of the nearly-cheapest, and say you've had a better price....

Reply to
Chris Bacon

And know where the jacking points are on your car, whyat sort of adaptors should be used on the jack, and observe the process, giving instruction if you must. Wish I'd done this before discovering I've now got to bend the damn sill back, and weld it.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

How do you balance them?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

most major chains will/should no longer fit your own tyres. therefore i reccomend you price up the fitting before you buy. black circles do use a lot of garages to fit tyres so you could go down that route if you wish. however when you order them make sure you ask about what happens when/if your tyres develop a fault. at least if you go to a "proper" garage you know where to go if you have a fault or complaint.

Reply to
TYRE MAN

Could you not just fit them yourself?! Pretty lazy to pay £80+ for fitting.

Reply to
Taylor

Not having the equipment to fit them might be a problem!

Reply to
Mike

There speaks one who has probably never removed or fitted a car tyre... And then, of course, there's the matter of balancing them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've fitted many a tyre, that's why paying the equivelant of £20 per tyre isn't really on. Balancing is a easy too, as I'm sure you're aware of.

Reply to
Taylor