Where to buy tyres

Howdy,

Need to put 3 new tyres on my car, just about down to the legal requirement. I used to get them done at a local tyre place which has now closed as owner passed on about 6/7 months ago.

I thought I could buy them online cheaper than somewhere like kwik fit ? and have kwik fit or ats etc fit them cheapish ?

Any recommendations where to look ?

3 of my tyres say 175/80/r14 88h but one says the same but with a 88t at the end.

thanks

Reply to
Steve

blackcirles.com are great...

Reply to
me

Steve ( snipped-for-privacy@here.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

BlackCircles, MyTyres and others, but you still need to get 'em fitted, of course... You tried YellowPages for a local indie tyre place?

H = HR speed rating, 130 mph T = TR, 119mph speed rating.

Reply to
Adrian

Forgot to add I have fireston f-580 tyres on it which have been good to me.

Any recoommendations on brand ?

Reply to
Steve

I never new tyres had speed ratings. So does that mean size h means there good at speed of up to 130 an no more.

Sorry to sound a bit dense on the subject.

Reply to
Steve
[...]

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

They look good I found another one etyres.co.uk they have amobile fitting person so they come to you. Not sure if they do the wheel balancing thing (whatever that is)

Blackcircles have a tyre place very near to me and etyres seem good not much in cost difference, would be more convinient for someone to come and do it. Think I'll go with etyres.

Cheers

Reply to
Steve

Steve ( snipped-for-privacy@here.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not "size" H - the size is 175 (mm wide tread) / 80 (sidewall height as % of tread width - the profile or aspect ratio) x 14 (rim diameter)

Yep, all modern tyres have a speed rating.

It does NOT mean you can just say "Well, I never drive over 70mph, so I'll fit cheap SR tyres to my fast car" - they're an all-round rating. Fit what the manufacturer recommends.

The 88 is the load rating - maximum of 560kg per tyre.

Adrian

They look good I found another one etyres.co.uk they have amobile fitting person so they come to you. Not sure if they do the wheel balancing thing (whatever that is)

Blackcircles have a tyre place very near to me and etyres seem good not much in cost difference, would be more convinient for someone to come and do it. Think I'll go with etyres.

Cheers

Reply to
Steve

I used etyres a couple of months ago, placing the order including preferred date online and yes they do exactly the same as any tyre place and all on my drive. I shall always use them in the future.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Excellent to know. I have placed my order with them and arranged for someone to come and put them on Tuesday. Couldn't be any simpler to be honest. Just punch you car tyre specs in select your tyre, set day and time and pay :-)

This is my first time using them so see how it goes on Tuesday but with what people say they seem good.

Thanks all for the help.

Cheers

Reply to
Steve

well actually, it does. But you would be in breach of C&U if you caused the vehicle to be operated outside of the tyre ratings. It's why my volvo came with a 130 limiter - H rated tyres.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

IIRC hearing it can cause insurance problems if someone's sharp enough to spot that you've got underrated tyres on. I very much doubt anyone would look that closely for a fairly small claim, but for a big smash...

Reply to
Doki

E-tyres are good. As cheap as any local depot and they come to your home or work to fit them.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

The only problem I did have is that they don't have a fitter covering my postcode. However they do have one covering where I work, and the fitter wasn't in the least bit fazed at fitting tyres in a school playground at lunchtime...

Reply to
Chris Bolus

I had Goodyear NCT5s fitted (after some recommendations here), and they are a massive improvement on what was there before!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

requirement.

Where are you in the country? Independents are nearly always cheaper than the rip-off chains like Kwik-fit, and generally employ more clued-up people who give a shit.

For price I hardly ever phone anywhere else than my local place, Bracknell Tyre + Battery (in Bracknell, Berkshire), but in the past I've used Headley Tyres (on the edge of Newbury) and Micheldever Tyres (off the A303 roughly between Basingstoke and Andover) as a rough guide for price comparisons - they're well known to be amongst the cheapest in the country, and I've heard that a lot of smaller tyre dealers actually buy their tyres from them, as they can supply much cheaper than a lot of the bigger distributors due to getting their tyres at auctions in Europe and bringing them back in bulk.

Google for Headley and Micheldever Tyres (2 separate places, like), phone your local independent tyre place, and give them a quick call to see how they compare (make sure you're comparing like with like i.e. identical brands, not just comparing "the cheapest" with "the cheapest").

-- Coming Soon: The British Apathy Party - though I bet nobody'll vote for them.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yup - isn't it a legal requirement to have tyres with a speed rating that would cover the vehicle's maximum speed?

-- Coming Soon: The British Apathy Party - though I bet nobody'll vote for them.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

My local place (A&M tyres in pemberton, Wigan) does tyres cheaper than any of the online places and including fitting. Online is not always cheaper, ring around your smaller locals.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

I can get them at a couple of local places for maybe a pound or two cheaper than say E-tyres. However when I go in I know I'm in for 30-60 minutes hanging around waiting. E-tyres will come to me and fit them while I'm working - I don't waste any time. That's worth it for me.

Reply to
Chris Bolus