Can you recommend tyres for 240 in the UK?

Good morning

I've been lurking here for a while. I drive a 1989 240 DL estate (2.3, carb, 4-speed). I'm looking into replacing some or all of the tyres as they're all a bit manky and it's getting very sloppy in the wet. I've looked at Brickboard and through some of the FAQs but can't seem to find any recommendations from UK listeners. Currently I have Sprint 185/80R14 on.

Any advice would be welcome!

olly r

Reply to
Olly R

Uniroyals are very good in the wet IME. Not oustanding in the dry, but amazing in the rain. Not had them on a 240 though, mine were on a Ka (165/65/R13, Rallye 580s).

Reply to
Doki

I have two 240 estates, an SE and a GLE of which the nearest in spec to yours is the GLE (2.3 carb, 5-speed) This runs on Semperits which were fitted when I got the car and perform well.

My SE is a 2.0inj auto and that runs on Fuldas very well. It also helps that the Fuldas are cheap (relatively) although they MUST be sealed properly to the rims as the slightest kerbing will lead to a slow puncture unless they are tubed.

h> Good morning

Reply to
AJAY

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Thanks for all your recommendations. My local volvo garage ordered some very cheap tyres (from Kwik-fit, I think) which aren't anything special, BUT they adjusted the tracking (it had been toeing out quite a lot, causing bad tyre wear and sloppy handling) and even with cheapo tyres on it feels like a new car! Steering is much more solid, it stops in a straight line and goes round corners in a predictable manner! Bit of a novelty really. One of the new tyres got a puncture after about 50 miles, so it's been sent back to the makers, so I STILL have the spare on (and beginning to wish I'd demanded a more pricey brand name tyre, to be honest!).

Thanks again

Olly R

Reply to
Olly R