Which welder

Strangely I did some ally welding with my Migmate and got on ok. No worse than with thin steel, ie needed fettling to look good. But it was about

5mm thick. Just turned everything up full. ;-) The tip needs to be a couple of sizes bigger than the wire to allow for expansion.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thought gas welding wasn't as suitable for car stuff (thin) due to distortion? Mig keeps the heat more localised?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No that's incorrect advice

yes

-
Reply to
Mark

You can't gas weld high strength steels. If it's not got any of those you can gas weld it but Migs still quicker & easier.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Who'd like to bet that this:

was welded with CO2?

CO2 can't be used for MIG, but it does have limited use for pulsed- transfer or dip-transfer MAGS on thin steel.

It can't be used for spray transfer, so forget it for thick stuff (including kitcar spaceframes or suspension components)

You can't afford a machine that does pulsed transfer

You can only do dip transfer with CO2 if yoru technique is good. if it isn't, it'll tip you over into globular transfer mode instead, aka pigeon crap welding.

Just avoid CO2! Switching to a decent shield gas is (along with an automatic hat) one of the biggest improvements that any amateur welder can make to their results.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

IMHO, thick aluminium is OK fed up the whole torch cable, but you should keep a separate liner for doing this.

Thin aluminium is easier if you switch to TIG

Spool-on-gun feed is fine, but they're expensive and IMHO only for bulk fabrication in thin stuff.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Andy Dingley gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Does CO2 make pigeons incontinent, then?

Reply to
Adrian

To be fair to it, that picture looks like a gasless set running at too low a voltage, possible with gas wire (the wire is melting, but there's no penetration of the base metal). It's not quite the classic globular transfer.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

bollox!

I've made yards of railings, ornate gates, and loads of old tractor,dumper/whatever repairs etc ALL with CO2....

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Jesus. And I thought *I* was a crap welder.

Reply to
Huge

What do you think the "I" in MIG stands for? If you're using CO2, it's by definition not MIG and just MAGS (and so works rather differently).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Well following advice on the welding forum i bought a Clark Pro90 today it came with a Co2 bottle and i bought an Argon/Co2 mix bottle. I will practice with both of these before i decide which large size bottle to buy as there is such a large difference in price. On the way home i was passing the local fire station which was having an open day, they were cutting the roof of an old Astra, so i managed to get the roof and bonnet to take home for welding practice. Thanks for everyone?s comments, although their still seems to be a Co2- Argon/o2 divide if anyones interested i will report back how the Novice managed.

Reply to
Ozie

strewth... but you do agree you can weld steel together using CO2 as gas in what's commonly known as a "MIG welding machine"??

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I agree - that's exactly what I did and used the kit at home for many years without any problems. I always used my home address when getting new cylinders and BOC never queried it. I re-silled and A-panelled a Mini with it - including using lead filler - a great learning experience :-)

However the main problem could be your home insurance - welding cylinders within a certain distance will invalidate it! If your garage is attached don't risk it but if it is at the other end of your garden check the distance.

Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s

A skilled gas welder can weld car bodies. I saw a resto on a Jag once where this had been done; they said too that the weld bead is not as hard as with MIG so it could be planished flat with a hammer rather than doing so much grinding.

The old workshop manuals recommend placing wet asbestos around the weld to contain the heat!

Reply to
asahartz

"Sla#s" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Presumably MIG cylinders are perfectly acceptable?

Reply to
Adrian

Agreed, I use plain CO2 all the time, no problems.

Much cheaper now, mine was about £40 and worth every penny!

Reply to
asahartz

yer pays yer money etc -

NB check the link I gave earlier - on that webpage is another (referenced) link to a practical test/comparison of CO2 vs argonmix gases on steel using MIG welders. Lots of notes and pics.

Good luck and have fun!!!

pics always welcome ;>)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

yer pays yer money etc -

NB check the link I gave earlier - on that webpage is another (referenced) link to a practical test/comparison of CO2 vs argonmix gases on steel using MIG welders. Lots of notes and pics.

Good luck and have fun!!!

pics always welcome ;>)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

That's rubbish. I use plain CO2 from pub bottles all the time for MIG on thin car body steel. My welding is fine. You can see it in the pictures in my build threads, eg

asahartz