Which welder

Not true, I built my locost out of 1.6mm wall tube, with CO2 using a dodgy

2nd hand mig welder with absolutely "no" experience of welding. It turned out great and in the 6 years it's been on the road, hardly anything's fallen off ;)

The welds are a bit taller, it runs a bit hotter but it's fine. Example pic

Tony (UncleFista)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Jim K saying something like:

Be nice if all you buggers snipped a bit.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon
[...]

Yep, it's almost as annoying as someone with overly long attribution...

:-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Chris Whelan saying something like:

It stays.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

OK.It was a tongue in cheek post.

Out of interest, did you think it up yourself? I'd like to change my attribution, but haven't come up with anything.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

figures

cribbed from "fear and loathing in las vegas"

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I thought the wire came in 0.6 and 0.8 mm, not 0.9. At least, what I buy round here does!

Re the gas, I originally went to a welding sales place (many years ago) which fitted me up with a regulator, pressure gauge, and appropriate connections to screw to a pub CO2 bottle. I simply went to the pub, they gave me one, and I re-cycled it when empty (paid for the gas itself, tho'). Then breweries got wise to this sort of thing and started putting nitrogen into the gas. OK for beer but not for welding. So I then bought a fire exinguisher, the screw fittings fitted it, and I just have it refilled from time to time (every couple of years or so. £15. So I own the 'bottle' and buy the gas. So so much cheaper than the little bottles that come with the welder. When the bottle's time comes up for pressure testing then I probably buy a new one.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

Most pubs still have pure CO2 for the coke machine, mixed gas makes your beer less fizzy whilst still preserving it reliably.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Chris Whelan saying something like:

Hardly; it's from "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Interesting. Maybe I could go back to the pub bottle. I wouldn't have the problem with pressure testing then.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

I already told him! and you go on about people wasting bandwidth!?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K
[...]

LOL!

I think Grimly might be more concerned with the annoyance of having to scroll down through lots of posts he's already read.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I imagine he's printing them out on itsy paper with holes down each side a la "grandstand teleprinter" ...... if so

W I P E A R S E H E R E

should bring back a sense of purpose (if not reality - ouch)

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Not strictly true, the are four gas mixes supplied to the pub trade, one is food grade pure Co2 for soft drinks, and some Lagers. then you have 30 50 and 70% N2 mixes for different ales and stouts. How do i know this as fact and not an OWT, i own a pub. A 14lb refill should cost no more then £10, don't know how much you are paying for fire extinguisher refills but i bet it's more then that.

Reply to
Mark

You don't have to get it from the pub. I just call my local gas stockist "Gas & Hire" - they keep a hundred or so CO2 cylinders in stock.

Reply to
asahartz

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Jim K saying something like:

Fuck off.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Jim K saying something like:

You know me so well, dahlink.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

let me know when you've finished your enigma .

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Update on which welder and which gas I used up two disposable bottles practising, the co2 was usable but the argon/co2 was the better much easer to use so i have rented an argosheld bottle from boc which seems to be even better perhaps because you have to use a proper regulator. The Clark pro 90 works extremely well on thin car body metal, but 3mm is about its absolute limit so not so good if you later intend making gates, trailers, etc. Picture of my first repair on the VW

for the help and advice.

Reply to
Ozie