Why do 2nd hand car battery chargers cost so much on ebay?

I was wondering why people on ebay are paying so much for 2nd hand battery chargers.

This one for instance "Selmar Star Battery Charger"

for 17 pounds plus 6.99 postage. This is an ancient model with nospecial modern features that I can see? Q: Hi, what is the charging amp rate on your machine? 10-Oct-05 A: Hi, It says on it Fitted with thermal automatic protection.No fuse needed.Input 220V/240V AC.50Hz.Output:5.6Amps R.M.S. 12V.DC.MADE IN ENGLAND.I hope that helps.Selmar double insulated, with automatic thermal overload Powerful 4 Amps DC Output

Arent these the same kind of charger you could buy new for under a tenner at some cheap store like Aldi or Lidl? Some person has paid

23.99 for that delivered? A new one in halfords is cheaper than that. Unless this old one has some special feature?
Reply to
Bob Stones

Some people would pay anything for a bargain.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Got one from Lidl a few months ago. £6.99 I think. Heavy old fashioned looking lump. Bright red metal casing. Looks like it was made in Stalingrad for the tractor industry. Works well. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

The message from Grimly Curmudgeon contains these words:

I knew that bit, I just wondered what might go well.

The one I really liked was

Ideal present for grannies - mount it on the wall and send 'em a memory card once in a while with pictures of the family on it. Moving picture frame.

If you could knock 'em out for a couple of hundred quid I reckon they'd sell.

Reply to
Guy King

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Guy King saying something like:

They're more for corporate product info type stuff, in reception areas and trade stands. Priced accordingly, I'd imagine.

Imo for that to find a domestic market, you'd need to be knocking them out for 50-75 quid just as photo/movie displays. Also, if they're cheap enough, a helluva lot of people would be buying them as cheap LCD monitors.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon